How is blade on old Snapper push mower supposed to be held on?

On a 70's era 21" Snapper push mower, the end of the shaft is larger than the rest of the shaft. I don't have it in front of me to measure but the last maybe 1/4 inch of the shaft is approximately the size of a quarter, flat on two sides. There are also washers with center holes that are shaped approximately like that end of the shaft - the hole flat on the sides, though a bit larger than the shaft end.
The center hole in the blade is round and slightly larger than this shaft end. How is that blade actually supposed to be mounted? I know there are clutch washers involved - is the hole in the blade supposed to be around that larger end or is it supposed to be further up the shaft and centered basically by eye and held in place by the friction of the washers clamping down on it?
Thanks.
muzician21 wrote:

I had a mower once which was maybe like that, there was a rectangular "thingy" on the end with a short nub that fit into the hole in the blade, there were two holes to attach the blade to the "thingy", and a center bolt to attach the "thingy + blade" to the shaft. Three fasteners in total. From the ground, it went thingy, blade, shaft.
You might need to find a "thingy".
Jon
on 7/10/2009 1:14 AM (ET) muzician21 wrote the following:

Do you have a model number? If so, find a Snapper parts manual on-line. http://www.snapper.com/manuals/index.cfm?rd=1
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY