How does Sears make money?

Page 1 of 2
Sometimes you wonder how companies make money. I order a 70 pint dehumidfier from the Sears website. Comes in a few days by UPS. Hook it up and even though the basement is warm the coils freeze solid. Start staring at the manual to see if I screwed up and I realize they shipped me a 50 pint dehumidifier. So not only is it broken but its the wrong model. How efficient can you get.

up
staring
pint
pint unit instead. And you are wondering how they make money? Do the math........
And they are sending a replacement and paying for the return postage.

it
50
They buy things in HUGE quantities at a discount..
Art wrote:

Art wrote:

All the easy jobs have been outsourced?
At least now you know for sure you need the 70 pt. low temp model. Stores often have unused display models much cheaper, I just got the 50 pt for 136.00
They may lose money on every deal but they make it up in volume...
Art wrote:

I ordered a special order printer table from a major stationer here in Canada. It arrived, direct shipped from the US. The front metal panel was crinkled under the paint. Quality Control (???) should have caught it at several stages, but they didn't. A call to a 1-800 number resulted in a promise to ship a replacement part as soon as possible. A day later another entire table arrived to replace the one with the bad part, and they didn't want the original one back.

it up

staring
pint
see, volume!!!
Eric Tonks wrote:

Reminds me of one I used to hear a lot of. Every time I heard it I knew it was a losing proposition.
"Take care of me on this one - I've got lots of work coming up"
Translation- Give me a ridculously cheap price & I'll hose you again & again.
This one doesn't. First Quarter Revenues: $7.8 billion First Quarter Losses: $859 million I think you see why.

up
staring
pint
My father owned a Sears catalog store for 17 years. It was making money hand over fist when they closed all the catalog stores down. Great business to own, you just had to deal wit the inept management in the region.
LS

up
staring
pint

This was a few years ago but I was at Sears and bought a $300.00 electric chipper shredder. Had to drive around back for them to put in my truck. I didn`t even notice till I got home and opened the box. They had put in a $750.00 TroyBilt motorized one by mistake. Dan.
How long did it take you to drive back and return it for the one you paid for?
Mason121 wrote:

There a finance company more than a general merchandise retailer. They make a boatload of money on the interest rate they charge on their card.
They used to be a fine retailer, before they got into the credit business. I used to buy lots of rifles and pistols from them and they'd show up on the door step. No questions asked.
Those were the good ole days.
RB
sigismundo wrote:

RB wrote:

I gave up shopping at Sears 20 years ago when a large-appliance salesperson said to me, "We don't have to do anything to get your business. We're Sears; you are automatically going to come to us."
With that attitude, I figured that if they didn't care about trying to get my business, they didn't deserve it. Haven't gone back since.
--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean,
But much benefit is derived from the labor of the ox.
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

RB wrote:

I will agree that they *used* to be really good. It's just a shame that they got too big for their own britches.
Melinda, who grew up in a teeny-tiny town with no Sears store but a Sears catalog outlet and a Montgomery Wards catalog outlet and a JCPenney store that only sold clothes and shoes had *no* catalog sales
--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean,
But much benefit is derived from the labor of the ox.
message

Sound like the way Home Depot is headed.