How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

I got one of those too $170 saw for $10 Even funnier, there was a embossed picture next to the chain guard on how the chain links should look if properly installed.
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 11:51:29 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 01:41:43 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney

Is that a wooden post the guiderail is attached to? You might have better luck drilling that.
Use a sharp bit. Or use a $20 Harbor freight magnet.
Jim [not to be a nanny-- but is that *your* hardware you're trying to drill a hole in?]
On 9/2/2012 7:52 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Thinking the same thing. If the objective is to use fasteners then driving a couple screws with washers into the post from the inside of the can is a quick way to do it without drilling someones guard rail.

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 10:24:42 -0400, George wrote:

That's a GREAT idea!
I didn't think of anything except a bolt ... but a lag screw should work just fine!

How do you plan to empty this can, once it's bolted down?
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 23:00:23 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

That's a good point. It actually had a plastic bag that I use to empty the trash - but the can blew over and the plastic bag blew over the cliff.
So, I plan on leaving the plastic bag in the garbage can so that I don't have to remove the can.
I could, I guess, put a bolt with a thumb screw on it though -- which would allow me to remove the can should the bag break open.
The problem is how to keep the can there in the wind.
Pull the trash bag out, and put another bag in?
How will Mr. Gagney keep the lid on, since it's a windy place? Bungee cords?
How do you plan to empty this can, once it's bolted down?
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 07:36:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No lid needed.
Simplicity is a good thing.
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 07:36:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No lid needed.
HD has self drilling hex head screws, in the screws and bolts aisle. That, and some fender washers. Socket tip for your cordless drill (set to low speed, high torque setting).
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 10:24:42 -0400, George wrote:

That's a GREAT idea!
I didn't think of anything except a bolt ... but a lag screw should work just fine!

Attach a beam clamp to the garbage can....
James Gagney wrote the following on 9/1/2012 9:41 PM (ET):

No one has asked yet, so I will. Why a garbage can attached to a guardrail?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No one has asked yet, so I will. Why a garbage can attached to a guardrail?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 15:08:17 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Nothing fishy. I figure he lives on a road with a ditch and a guardrail to keep cars from going in tthe ditch. a guardrail right next to the driveable shoulder. And he has to take the garbage to the foot of the long driveway to have it picked up, and the wind, maybe wind from passing semis, blows the can over and/or into the ditch if it's not secured in some way.
Although it's not his property , unless a hole is going to get a lot bigger becasue the tin layer has been breeched, I don't have a probem with him drilling one hole. OTOH, he could use two 1-inch C-clamps to hold each end of a bungee cord and hold a garbage can of any shape and size in place. I myself would put them on the bottom of the rail so they ddid't look bad from the road, although I'm sure the view from the road is not perfection anyhow. .
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 20:15:07 -0400, micky wrote:

Close. Very close.
The road cuts along the edge of my property - so it's my property - but it's well within the right of way of the easement so the town maintains the road.
However, there's a cliff (not a ditch ... but close ... a really really really deep ditch) on the other side of the guardrail.
The garbage can is there because lovers park there all the time, and I'd say about 1/5th of them (or so) are filthy litterers. The rest are fine and cause no problem.
So the trash can is there to encourage the filthy litterers to use it.
I empty it about once every week. Sometimes once every two weeks in the rainy season. The wind is ferocious at times up here. Then, when it blows over the garbage can, I have to pick up EVEN MORE garbage. You can actually see trash someone left to the right of the garbage can in the original picture.
(Some) people are just filthy with other people's property. It is what it is. I figure 1/5th can't ever be trained. And maybe 1/5th can be taught to use the gargage can. The other 3/5ths were brought up well.
It is what it is. And I'm trying to do what I can.
> No one has asked yet, so I will. > Why a garbage can attached to a guardrail? >
Isn't it obvious???
It's a social commentary... an artistic expression of life in the 21st century.
It speaks to a simple man's struggle to live in the garbage of the society we've created while dealing with the rapid pace of change and ever present danger that creates, as symbolized by the highway guardrail.
I'm thinking it could sell for over $100,000 at auction on the right day to the right collector.
--
nestork

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 01:45:45 +0000, nestork

I'm impressed with your insight!
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 01:45:45 +0000, nestork wrote:

Wow. I'd have to be someone famous soon. Can you help make me famous so I can collect on that prediction?
:)
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 14:42:25 -0400, willshak wrote:

People litter like crazy at that spot.
The guardrail is on the edge of a cliff.
The 'loop' end of the guard rail fits the garbage can perfectly.
The only problem is that the wind blows the garbage can over, at the open end of the loop.
So I want to bolt or screw the garbage can down - to keep it from blowing over the cliff in the wind.