How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

That's what I expected. Though the plastic can had 4 or 5vertical slits maybe 18" long, I could have used it for a long time for things that don't attract flies. (The slits would come from repeatedly ploppoing a full can onto the ground, but I never did that, and I don't think anyone else did either.)

As to the lid, I'm normally not outside when the garbage men come, but I was this time a 15 minutes in advance and a a half hour afterwards, and no one was outside. It's possible someone else came by and took it but not likely. This can was borrowed and I really wanted to return it complete, but it was old and soon after a wheel broke off, and he got rid of other cans when he moved. .

None of this is a big deal, but it's sort of interesting.

That's great!

Reply to
micky

But they never shoot anyone, at least not with guns.

I don't think the other sides shoot either.

Reply to
micky

Simplicity is a good thing.

.

No lid needed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oh, man! You my hero!

.

I learned how to shoot by watching TV's "The A Team".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've thought of it. I wouldn't want the camera stolen so I'd have to be adept at camouflage. Also, it's far from power (many hundreds of yards) so I'd have to have solar & signal beamed from it.

So a camera is problematic. Although it would be a GREAT way to catch the license plate and report the trashing to the police!

If only I knew how to get it power without having it being seen.

Reply to
James Gagney

Game (hunting) cam?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Perhaps a little profit, too. ;-)

Where there is a will...

Reply to
krw

Not close up with a pistol, hell no.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'd shoot samples of it at the range from 100 yards with a high-velocity heavy bullet (7.62), anything else I'd think would be unsafe unless you control the 'experiment' with remote firing with a string and some cover for ricochet.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Unless the car is very old, it sounds like he's a spoiled kid to have an expensive car at age 19. And it shows in his lying.

I think it's pretty clear that the guardrail swerved. They should have better guardrails.

You're picture reminds me that I don't think I've ever seen a metal guardrail held up with wood posts. I drove from Baltimore to Dallas and back a few years ago and don't r emember it then either. In the East, I venture to say, they use metal "I-beams", grey or painted grey, or maybe aluminum. Not as strong as those to build skyscrapers, I'm sure,

Reply to
micky

The cables are an attempt to keep a car from crossing the medium and hitting a car head on that is traveling in the opposit direction.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I know you meant to type median, but I'm confused about how one could hit a car head-on that *wasn't* traveling in the opposite direction.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Car A is travelling at 30 MPH in reverse gear. Car B is following Car A at 40 MPH in forward gear.

If Car A doesn't speed up or if Car B doesn't slow down, Car B will hit Car A "head on" even though they are travelling in the same direction.

From our friends at Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-on_collision

A head-on collision is one where the front ends of two ships, trains, planes or vehicles hit each other, as opposed to a side collision or rear-end collision.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, I did mean median. I did use a poor choice of words. Maybe it would have been clear if I had said it was to prevent a car that is heading east and crosses the median from hitting the cars that are in the west bound lane.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

So the cables are not there to prevent 2 cars from opposite sides of the highway from hitting each other if they are both *in* the median? ;-)

BTW...slightly related to highway guardrails...

I was traveling in the left lane of I-90 this weekend when something caught my eye in my side view mirror. I looked over and saw the car behind me only inches from the left guardrail, kicking up dirt and debris. He was so close behind me that at first I thought he was trying to pass me on the left shoulder when he suddenly swerved right to get back onto the highway.

My eyes went from the sideview mirror to the rearview mirror where I saw him overshoot the left lane, continue into the right lane, causing another vehicle to swerve onto the right shoulder, kicking up dirt and debris, and come within inches of that guardrail.

The wayward vehicle stayed in the right lane and the car behind him slowed down enough to let the innocent driver that was now driving on the shoulder back in.

I'm glad it all happened behind me and I only had to watch, not be involved. I'm also glad that there was no real accident, but I think the driver that got pushed out of his lane was pretty shook up. He slowed way down real fast and was soon out sight.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If they're both in the median, then no problem. They aren't blocking the roadway, so to hell with them.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Ever heard of the term "rubber necking delays"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Woo hoo! The TITANIUM coated drill bit was the trick!

It drilled through the guard rail in a matter of 30 seconds!

Here's a shot of the now-attached garbage can.

Here's a closeup picture:
And, here's the inside of the garbage can (without plastic bag):
Thanks everyone for all the advice!

- I used your idea of using the U bolt to make it not dangerous to vehicles or people

- I used your idea of using a titanium coated drill bit

- I used your advice of drilling a smaller hole first

- I used your advice of making it not dangerous to vehicles etc.

I love you guys!

Reply to
James Gagney

The titanium coated drill bit was EXACTLY what I needed!

James Gagney

That's exactly what I did!

James Gagney