How does one drill a hole in a guardrail anyway?

Page 5 of 7
On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 20:47:18 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Okay. :-) I'm easy to fool.

Oops: Minus. I just meant. If he's going 30 by the time I catch up with him, I stay back the rrecommended distance when following someone going 30. . Although usually he did't leave the accident very fast, and neither does the guy behind me.
I also try to go through left-turn arrows quickly too, and to be close on the tail of a guy turning left at an arrow, so that I don't hold back people behind me and they have time to turn on that arrow. This only matters where there is a lot of traffic.

I agree, but only about 2 seconds, and I meant that literally -- 2 seconds. . By taking my 2 seconds, i'm not mad at the people ahead of me who took a lot more. It's good for my blood pressure.

It's not stop and go when we're leaving the peeking zone. In fact there's less traffic than normal because the cars are piled up behind us. If it's stop and go in front of us too, I take a longer look, because being held up by my looking is no worse for others than being held up by stop-and-go traffic.
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 21:08:49 -0400, micky wrote:

It's on my property. But it's the town's guard rail as they maintain the right of way on each side.
Nobody could hit it from the end to the right with a moving vehicle. They can only T-bone it (if they really tried) with a car.
On the other side of the guard rail is a cliff ... hence the lovers lookout name of that part of the road. They leave trash (yes, even 'that' kind of trash) all the time.
Lovers are such litters!
Anyway, I seriously doubt anyone is gonna get hurt from a trash can being in the middle of the guardrail. It's a classic spot that the GPS trackers seem to leave little notes to each other - but other than that, I can't imagine it hurting a 4,000 pound vehicle.
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 12:22:06 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

Yes. The wooden post, which has holes drilled in the bottom (presumably) to weaken it even further, is NOT on a highway. It's just a scenic road. A one-lane road which has a turnout where lovers congregate at night.
The guardrail is 'probably' there because there is a cliff on the other side, and people 'could' (I guess) wholly miss the road and end up over the cliff.
I 'could' mount the trash can to the wooden post - but that entails half a foot of drilling, versus the thin guard rail. So my first approach will be to see if the newly bought titanium (I think) gold-colored HSS Kawasaki bits will do the trick.
The guardrail:

The bits:

As to trash can on wood post, use a pilot hole, and then screw eyes. Bungee cords.
But, the titanium bits should go through the metal guard rail.
Yes. The wooden post, which has holes drilled in the bottom (presumably) to weaken it even further, is NOT on a highway. It's just a scenic road. A one-lane road which has a turnout where lovers congregate at night.
I 'could' mount the trash can to the wooden post - but that entails half a foot of drilling, versus the thin guard rail. So my first approach will be to see if the newly bought titanium (I think) gold-colored HSS Kawasaki bits will do the trick.
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 13:54:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's in a spot where people park and leave stuff on the ground. We call it lovers leap. There's a cliff on the other side, hence the guardrail.
Even with the trash can, some people STILL litter the scenic area. Sigh.
But the trash can is blowing down in the wind, creating FURTHER litter from the people who DID put trash in it ... so I want to be responsible and bolt it down.
I guess a person 'could' drive a car into it ... but ... really ... do you think a plastic trash can on the end of a guard rail is really going to do that much damage to an incoming vehicle?
Note: The only way a vehicle can hit it, logically, is perpendicular to it as there's no road on the bent end where the trash can is (and the guard rail would be pointing toward were it an arrow).
James Gagney wrote:

Use a chain.
Sounds like you're being a responsible citizen. And making it easier for responsible adults to "put litter in its place". This is the kind of thing that members of my family would do. Good on you!
I'll read a couple more posts, and see if you've made holes. Guess not. When you get your holes, please consider using some perforated strap, to go around the trash can. Make a big loop, so the trash can will nestle in. That way you can lift the trash can out, not have the trashcan permanantly bolted on.
Or, use carriage head bolts, and wingnuts. Carriage heads on the inside, so they don't rip the trash bag. Bolts and wing nuts on the outside of the rail. Bit of grease to keep the bolts from rusting. You may end up replacing the trash can as it weather cracks from UV rays.
It's in a spot where people park and leave stuff on the ground. We call it lovers leap. There's a cliff on the other side, hence the guardrail.
Even with the trash can, some people STILL litter the scenic area. Sigh.
But the trash can is blowing down in the wind, creating FURTHER litter from the people who DID put trash in it ... so I want to be responsible and bolt it down.
I guess a person 'could' drive a car into it ... but ... really ... do you think a plastic trash can on the end of a guard rail is really going to do that much damage to an incoming vehicle?
Note: The only way a vehicle can hit it, logically, is perpendicular to it as there's no road on the bent end where the trash can is (and the guard rail would be pointing toward were it an arrow).
On 09/02/2012 09:39 PM, James Gagney wrote:

You could try putting up a sign stating that all activities in the area are recorded by surveillance cameras. You wouldn't even need any actual cameras, just the suggestion that people are being recorded is enough to keep honest people from misbehaving.
Jon
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 07:43:51 -0700, Jon Danniken

Perhaps a web cam? ;-)
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 12:29:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I've thought of it. I wouldn't want the camera stolen so I'd have to be adept at camouflage. Also, it's far from power (many hundreds of yards) so I'd have to have solar & signal beamed from it.
So a camera is problematic. Although it would be a GREAT way to catch the license plate and report the trashing to the police!
If only I knew how to get it power without having it being seen.
On 9/3/12 3:03 PM, James Gagney wrote:

Game (hunting) cam?
On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 20:03:30 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney

Perhaps a little profit, too. ;-)

Where there is a will...

Bungee cord.

LOL... I dunno what planet you are from but on earth guard rails are placed in an attempt to keep the vehicles on the graded roadway corridor rather than freely plunging over some embankment or careening off into an area with lots of closely spaced older trees...
The guard rail itself is not designed to prevent injuries by collapsing but attempt to prevent serious injuries by redirecting vehicles to a safer area to crash... Crumple zones on cars do that work...
Crash tests are done crashing vehicles into solid objects (other cars and barricades) on the same level ground surface as the moving vehicle being tested, add falling any significant distance down an incline during a crash and impacting into immovable heavy objects and the weight of the vehicle, occupants and any cargo has more of an effect...
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 01:41:43 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney

Occasionally, my drill is spinning the wrong direction. Don't do that.
Consider attaching the clamp to the garbage can instead of the guard rail.
If you do attach to the guard raile, consider that when your garbage can wears out, they might not be selling new ones of the same shape.
(Although my plastic cans are 30 and 25 years old. One of the 30-year old ones got several vertical splits in it, and the garbage men took it and kept it. (Another time, someone stole the rectangular lid to a borrowed plastic can with wheels. I think it waw the garbage man because no one else was around. A couple weeks later, a repacement lid was left, same brand, but one size bigger) )

In all my years of putting garbage out at the curb, in multiple houses in multiple cities, I've never had a garbage man take a garbage can unless it was clearly marked as trash, regardless of the condition. I grew up in NYC where they used to beat the metal cans on the back of truck so I know what a crappy garbage can looks like.
One time I put an indoor garbage can, filled with garbage, inside the main garbage can. When I got home, the indoor can was still inside the main one, but both were empty. The next week I marked it as trash and it was taken.
I had a bucket disappear to the trashers, one time. Real shame, it was not quiet five gallon bucket, and fit nicely in the space between the table and the wall.
In all my years of putting garbage out at the curb, in multiple houses in multiple cities, I've never had a garbage man take a garbage can unless it was clearly marked as trash, regardless of the condition. I grew up in NYC where they used to beat the metal cans on the back of truck so I know what a crappy garbage can looks like.
One time I put an indoor garbage can, filled with garbage, inside the main garbage can. When I got home, the indoor can was still inside the main one, but both were empty. The next week I marked it as trash and it was taken.
On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 02:38:56 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

That's what I expected. Though the plastic can had 4 or 5vertical slits maybe 18" long, I could have used it for a long time for things that don't attract flies. (The slits would come from repeatedly ploppoing a full can onto the ground, but I never did that, and I don't think anyone else did either.)
As to the lid, I'm normally not outside when the garbage men come, but I was this time a 15 minutes in advance and a a half hour afterwards, and no one was outside. It's possible someone else came by and took it but not likely. This can was borrowed and I really wanted to return it complete, but it was old and soon after a wheel broke off, and he got rid of other cans when he moved. .
None of this is a big deal, but it's sort of interesting.

That's great!
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 01:41:43 +0000 (UTC), James Gagney

I'd use a good quality bit and some oil. Even a spray of WD-40 works. A guy at work was having a similar problem drilling a hole in metal. He brought the bit to the maintenance supervisor and had is sharpened. Still would not drill right and he kidded the guy about his poor sharpening skills.
The supervisor then went over, picked up his drill and changed it from reverse to forward.

My friend gave me a little chain saw left behind at the ministorage she runs. It didn't cut. I'm glad I checked the chain. On backwards. Maybe that's why t hey left it behind.