How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

Do you know where to find the tune-up procedure for the Sears Craftsman

358.351.800 18 inch chain saw?

Ever since it was new, my two-stroke Sears Craftsman 358351.800 18" 40cc chain saw has been miserable to start and even worse to run. Even when new, I could never release my finger on the trigger for fear of the Craftsman chainsaw conking out and not restarting for another 20 minutes of pulling the string.

The Sears Craftsman 358351 chain saw is now about a year old, and I've got only about 3 or 4 hours on it (a few tanks of gas and bar oil) but it now won't even start anymore except when left overnight. Even then, it only runs until I lift my finger off the trigger and it conks out and won't start again. I'm so sorry I didn't read Craftsman chain saw reviews because I'm sure this is a design flaw (maybe because it's a California low-smog chainsaw?).

Anyway, I'm stuck with it.

I replaced the Champion RCJ7Y spark plug, the felt air filter, and put a newly bought newly mixed 40:1 gasoline:oil mixture in the tank; but it's STILL hard to start.

Following owners manual instructions, I set the choke to full on, I press the accelerator pump 6x, I pull the starter cord 5 times, I set the choke to 1/2 position, I pull the starter cord a half dozen more times, and, more often than not, it does not start.

I called Sears' 800 number but they only sell parts; the guy told me to tune the carbeurator but I don't know what that procedure is.

Do you know where to find the tune-up procedure for the Sears Craftsman

358.351.800 18 inch chain saw?
Reply to
SF Man

I remove the screen spark arrestors on the muffler outlet and it helps, but leaving any gas in it for a few months can gum up a carb, if its under warranty why mess with it , A quick search and I see it has high reviews, dont you have a manual that shows carb settings, sears online should have the manual then clean the carb.

Reply to
ransley

=3D=3D The chainsaw is probably made by Poulon (mine is). Try them...they have operator's manual for download if you could quote a similar model number,

=3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

=3D=3D From fixya.com

Try removing the fuel cap for a moment, then try restart. If ok, check the fuel vent for plugging. Check the fuel filter for plugging. Inspect the fuel lines for decay or other damage. Check for spark when it stops--it may be the ignition module failing when hot. Check for sawdust and dirt plugging the ventilation system--blow it out with compressed air. Does the engine 4-stroke at speed when not cutting, but does 2-stroke when cutting? Make sure the chain is being oiled while running. Hope this helps!

note: fuel vent is the little hole in the cap. If this hole is completely plugged the motor won't run or will run erratically.

=3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Whoops...that should be Poulan...a spellin' error. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

It sounds like you are flooding it when you try to start it. Try this way.....first take out the plug and let it sit overnight to make sure ther isn't any gas in cylinder. The next day put the plug back in and only push the primer bulb 2-3 times at most. Turn choke to full. If it don't start within 3 pulls, take the choke off, hold the throttle wide open and pull a few more times. If it stil doesn't start, take it to someone who knows how to adjust your carb. Some carbs need a special tool anyway. If you want to try to adjust it and the stops are not on it, turn both screws clockwise until they stop, then back them both out about 1 1/4 turn, then get it running and adjust both at full speed and idle.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

The mush button for the gas is the primer. Try it x2 pushes, instead of six. Sounds like you're flooding the hell out of it.

Look for small slotted screw that turns up the idle (I'm no help to say where that might be).

Mix a galon of brand new gas. Use name brand (Mobil, Exxon, Hess, BP) not the cheap brands like Road Apple Quick Fill.

Make sure it's not a Champion brand plug. they had a run of defects. I've bought Autolite, or NGK. If it fails to start, look at the spark plug. Wet? Flooded. My gut sense is that you're flooding the system with too much gas. "won't start till the next day" is the clue. Gives the gas a chance to dry out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you check the plug gap and set it? I'm not a fan of plugs that are pre-gapped. Male sure the plug has the proper heat range.

Follow the advise given here already about adjusting the carb jet/screws. I tend to adjust them while the engine is running -- tune by ear.

If the screws are bottomed-out, usually back it off to 1.25 - 1.5 turns out. That will get you in the ball park.

Pierce the gas cap vent hole with a paper clip so make sure the hole is open and vents the fuel tank.

Reply to
Oren

I know that happened 30 years ago. That dead horse has bruises?

Is there the same issue? Now, today...

Reply to
Oren

Your problem may be no spark. Check the coils to see if they're putting out enough voltage.

Reply to
jm

That's the day you should have returned it to Sears for exchange or your money back. Doesn't the Craftsman lifetime gaurantee apply to motorized tools? Now you know why I haven't bought a Sears Craftsman anything for 30 yrs!

nb

Reply to
notbob

What's the best way to check if there is spark?

Reply to
SF Man

I went to Ace Hardware today and saw some Poulan chain saws ... and you're right I think. The motor looks pretty similar, even down to the muffler and choke and on/off switch arrangement.

I'll see if Poulan has a tune up procedure.

Reply to
SF Man

Fuel filter?

I didn't know a 2-stroke chain saw has a fuel filter. Gotta look for that.

I did clean the whole thing out with compressed air to no avail. Wouldn't even start this morning. Something must have happened as I couldn't start it at all.

Reply to
SF Man

I understand that 6x is a lot of accelerator pump but it says so in multiple spots on the chain saw covers. The first thing the Sears 800 technical support asked is whether I pressed the bulb six times before doing anything else.

Maybe it's a California thing; but 6x is the recommended number.

I'm beginning to wonder if I lost spark ... since it has gas and air ...

Is there a way to tell if it has a spark?

Reply to
SF Man

It would NEVER start with just 2x. The owners manual says to use 6x; the bulb has a 6x embossed just below it; and the complex starting instructions on the sticker on the side say 6x. Even when new, it barely started with

6x. It took more like 8x to 10x.

Dunno if it's a California thing or not but it just never ran well.

From what people say, I either need to mess with the screws on the carb or I need to find why (if) it doesn't have spark.

I can easily mess with the screws (after finding the procedure somewhere) ... but how do I tell if it doesn't have spark?

Reply to
SF Man

Champion RCJ7Y. None of the stores carried that but they told me a Champion CJ7Y (without the R) is the same thing so that's what I put in there.

The plug, when pulled out hot, is dry as a bone so I'm pretty sure flooding isn't the culprit. I'm beginning to suspect either the plugged fuel filter (I didn't know chain saws HAD a fuel filter) or the spark coils are bad.

Don't know how to test the coils though.

Reply to
SF Man

The plug went in correctly. The only difference was I couldn't find the Champion RCJ7Y so I had to put in a CJ7Y.

Do you think it matters?

The store guys said it wouldn't.

Reply to
SF Man

AFAIK, the "lifetime guarantee" only applies to tools sans moving parts (for the most part).

So, anything with a motor isn't covered.

Reply to
SF Man

If the plug is hot, it's prbably firing. You can check this by pulling the plug, resting it against some metal and hold the saw steady while you yank the cord (have someone help, just keep them away from the blade!)

If it sparks, start looking for fuel not getting there.

Um, when I was in telephone support, they told us the FIRST question to ask was, Is it plugged in? I said, "you're kidding!" 30% of most problems were because it wasn't...

So, full tank? Fresh gas? And, is the fuel shut off closed?

Reply to
Hachiroku