How do they fix a home sliding over a hill?

A friends home is just a few doors away:( from a home thats about to slide over a hill...:(

the backyards have gone from 15 feet to just a few, and that home close by is about a foot and is for sale for 5 grand. Its vacant since the gas company terminated service and pulled the meter for safety reasons. its a nice ranch in a so so neighborhood. it makes me wonder how the pros do it, theres over a 100 foot drop to the valley below. it last sold for 6

Rappeling would be necessary to work behind the home

buddy showed me another house like this, the home currently sits above ravine street. the foundation is undermned and collapsed.

that is you can look under the footer and concrete slab. maybe 1/4 is exposed, i was afraid to get too close for a good look.

both homes are pretty nice and might make a nice investment for someone if they could be stabilized........

Reply to
bob haller

last sold for 69,000 $$$

Reply to
bob haller

On 1/26/2012 1:12 PM, bob haller wrote: ...

Virtually no chance at such a late date (and zero chance of doing it economically unless there's a multi-million dollar ocean view that could be salvaged which would be contraindicated by folks w/ that kinda' money would have done something before the situation had developed to this point).

--

Reply to
dpb

You'd have to get a really good deal on fill dirt to make it worth the trouble, assuming there's no underlying erosion issue causing problems.

I doubt the 100 ft drop is purely vertical, so that'd likely mitigate the fill amount requirements.

Reply to
mike

Of course there is an erosion issue. The hill is sliding into the valley.

You can drape chain link down the hill, rebar and cement but ultimately the hill will have it's way.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Califiornia, right?

I heard on the news a very convincing show about bankruptcy that said that most buisiness owners try so hard to avoid it bankruptscy and wait too long to do bankruptcy and that's why they can't do a good job of it.

Similarly, I think this owner waited too long to try to sell his house. Earlier, maybe it could have been moved to another location. Althought since it's built on a slab, maybe there is hope yet.

They should build the houses with beautiful views on the other side of the mountain, where the land is less likely to collapse.

If you want to see the long term results of hills sliding into valleys, drive down the Shenandoah valley. It's shaped like \ / \_______/.

Calysta for First Tramp?

Reply to
SecondHoncho

This has to be Southern California. That is about the only place I can think of were people build ridiculously priced homes on eroding cliff- sides.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

You don't work on all sides of a home to move it, you work under it and inside of it to stabilize it so it can be lifted up onto cribbing then lowered down onto a house move platform to be towed to a new location if the roadways which access the area are wide enough to allow the house to pass through on them... The rest of the foundation of the home is cut away after it is lifted onto the cribbing before being lowered onto the house mover platform...

This all depends on the internal structure of the home in question if you have no access to the side(s) it needs to be lifted by in order to not fall apart that it is a no-go...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

It might cost that much to move the house itself to a new lot, without factoring in the new foundation which you would have to build for it...

It all depends on how far distance-wise you want to move it and how much the electric/telephone utilities are going to charge to move wires out of the way as the house has to pass by them...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Forget trying to save it, gravity will win!

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Wait till after the mudslide, and see if you can get them to drop the price, a couple million.

.

This has to be Southern California. That is about the only place I can think of were people build ridiculously priced homes on eroding cliff- sides.

RonB

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

actually the homes are in pittsburgh pa area.

both are for sale cheap, under or about 5 grand each.

one whole neighborhood of homes are in danger, ultimately 35 to 40

Reply to
bob haller

.

Well they could be moved but that is a VERY expensive proposition and the legitimate firms which are capable of carrying out such feats of engineering are few and far between...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

This is what you need:

It is very expensive to install.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Interesting. Do they know for sure they are all in danger? I can imagine a situation where so many feet per year is going away and eventually, all will go. But I can also image a situation where the erosion will get to solid rock that will take another million years to erode. Can you give us an address for this house or street name?

Pat

Reply to
Pat

Pittsburgh? I thought that was steel country. Can they make some girders, and excavate into the solid land, and better anchor the homes to firm earth?

Street name. Well, how does "Sunset View, Malibu, CA" sound? Maybe "Cliffside Drive, Malibu"?

.

Interesting. Do they know for sure they are all in danger? I can imagine a situation where so many feet per year is going away and eventually, all will go. But I can also image a situation where the erosion will get to solid rock that will take another million years to erode. Can you give us an address for this house or street name?

Pat

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The only solution is to salvage what can be salvaged, and haul the rest away in dumpsters at this point.

It's going to be too expensive to stabilize, and that's only IF the DEC (Dept of Environmental Conservation) will allow you to stabilize it.

I know a farmer whose barn was undercut by a creek that drastically changed course during a flood. The creek was nowhere near the barn prior to the flood. The DEC will not let them fill in and stabilize their barn because it "changes the natural course" of the creek.

If flowing water is causing the problem, you can forget about saving it at all.

Reply to
dennisgauge

I think I found it in a newspaper article. Ivondale St in Greenfield (Pittsburgh) PA. Not exactly the kind of neighborhood one envisions from your street names above.

Reply to
Pat

theres a carbon street home and one in penn hills. not steller neighborhoods. low priced homes to begin with.

the one on bramble street endagers maybe 25 homes all built on the edge of a cliff

Reply to
bob haller

It could just be that the grade of the hill was too steep for the material, and that once it is rectified, it could be stable, long term.

Reply to
mike