How do I remove this faucet cartridge

My faucet is leaking, but when I remove the handle, I can't see how to get the cartridge out.
It looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/gp/7865232@N08/Qc2r91
I tried using a wrench on the nut-shaped top of the metal housing, but it would not budge in either direction.
Am I missing something simple here?
Thanks.
-J
The linked picture (of a nice clean cartridge) is actually the cold tap. It's the hot tap that's leaking, and the picture of that is not as pretty: lots of black gunk - probably from a corroded o-ring.
-J
On 10/01/2015 09:07 AM, J wrote:

It looks to be in good condition so it should come off with a wrench . Use one of good quality that grips on all six sides and turn it counter clockwise.
Though more than likely quite tight, it should come apart.
On 10/01/2015 9:15 AM, philo wrote:

+1 I'd suggest a deepwell socket (like spark plug socket, for example) if the stem isn't too long. If not a good box end, do _not_ use an adjustable ("crescent") wrench or a sorry open end or you'll risk rounding it off.
An impact or two on the end to apply some high impulse shock may do wonders...
On 10/01/2015 9:29 AM, dpb wrote: ...

On the end of the _wrench_, of course, not the valve stem or... :)

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 10:31:59 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

yes, I used a good deep socket and rachet and the problem I had was that the entire assembly turned insted of loosening the cartrage.
So I tried a small electric impact wrench. It came out in 1 second.
I strongly recommend an impact wrench for this job.
Not becasue it needs a lot of torque, but because it will loosen stuff without spinning the whole assembly.
Mark
On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 11:05:50 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I forgot to add.. I used a Danco brand replacement and it leaked again in a few months. Went through a few Dancos and they leaked after a short time. Now I tried a real American Standard. So far it is holding but it has only been a few days.
Mark
On 10/1/2015 10:07 AM, J wrote:

cartridge puller.
Sometimes best to call a plumber. I did for Moen cartridge in my 35 year old shower as I learned from year before pulling one in bathtub without puller that I was in danger of breaking pipes.
DIY, maybe find a utube video on brand.
Thanks for all the quick advice. I'll see if I can find a deep socket that fits. If not, I'll try the helpful neighbor, and give it a few whacks - the wrench, not the neighbor ;-)
Thanks you guys!
I finally had the time to look through my tools (the slow drip was not forc ing me to do anything quickly) and I found a deep socket that fit the bill (I mean, the nut) - 15/16". Better yet, the handle of the socket wrench wa s very long (actually an old-style torque wrench). Now, I understand the p hysics of torque = force x moment-arm, but I was still surprised at how e asily the thing turned once I had the proper tools. So easily that I think I had to have loosened it with the crescent wrench. I mean, when I was us ing the crescent wrench, I seemed to be physically deforming the nut, with nothing budging.
Anyway, I was able to get the replacement cartridge at home despot (under $ 8) and the drip is no more. Yay!
-J
On 10/15/2015 2:06 PM, J wrote:

Indeed, it's "the secret of the trade" as often as not...