How do I remove this faucet cartridge

My faucet is leaking, but when I remove the handle, I can't see how to get the cartridge out.

It looks like this:

I tried using a wrench on the nut-shaped top of the metal housing, but it would not budge in either direction.

Am I missing something simple here?

Thanks.

-J

The linked picture (of a nice clean cartridge) is actually the cold tap. It's the hot tap that's leaking, and the picture of that is not as pretty: lots of black gunk - probably from a corroded o-ring.

-J

It looks to be in good condition so it should come off with a wrench . Use one of good quality that grips on all six sides and turn it counter clockwise.

Though more than likely quite tight, it should come apart.

Reply to
philo

Don't know the specific cartridge. Know that Moen's often require cartridge puller.

Sometimes best to call a plumber. I did for Moen cartridge in my 35 year old shower as I learned from year before pulling one in bathtub without puller that I was in danger of breaking pipes.

DIY, maybe find a utube video on brand.

Reply to
Frank

+1 I'd suggest a deepwell socket (like spark plug socket, for example) if the stem isn't too long. If not a good box end, do _not_ use an adjustable ("crescent") wrench or a sorry open end or you'll risk rounding it off.

An impact or two on the end to apply some high impulse shock may do wonders...

Reply to
dpb

On 10/01/2015 9:29 AM, dpb wrote: ...

On the end of the _wrench_, of course, not the valve stem or... :)

Reply to
dpb

yes, I used a good deep socket and rachet and the problem I had was that the entire assembly turned insted of loosening the cartrage.

So I tried a small electric impact wrench. It came out in 1 second.

I strongly recommend an impact wrench for this job.

Not becasue it needs a lot of torque, but because it will loosen stuff without spinning the whole assembly.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

I forgot to add.. I used a Danco brand replacement and it leaked again in a few months. Went through a few Dancos and they leaked after a short time. Now I tried a real American Standard. So far it is holding but it has only been a few days.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Thanks for all the quick advice. I'll see if I can find a deep socket that fits. If not, I'll try the helpful neighbor, and give it a few whacks - the wrench, not the neighbor ;-)

Thanks you guys!

I finally had the time to look through my tools (the slow drip was not forc ing me to do anything quickly) and I found a deep socket that fit the bill (I mean, the nut) - 15/16". Better yet, the handle of the socket wrench wa s very long (actually an old-style torque wrench). Now, I understand the p hysics of torque = force x moment-arm, but I was still surprised at how e asily the thing turned once I had the proper tools. So easily that I think I had to have loosened it with the crescent wrench. I mean, when I was us ing the crescent wrench, I seemed to be physically deforming the nut, with nothing budging.

Anyway, I was able to get the replacement cartridge at home despot (under $

8) and the drip is no more. Yay!

-J

Indeed, it's "the secret of the trade" as often as not...

Reply to
dpb