How do I eliminate Dandelion weeds from my lawn?

Page 3 of 3

There was actually an interesting article on this in the Washington Post yesterday.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3352-2004May5.html
Since you have to register, here are a few snippets :) A Course in Growing Lawns Organically at Gallaudet
By Adrian Higgins Washington Post Staff Writer Thursday, May 6, 2004; Page H01
"I inherited more weeds than grass," he says standing in a sea of weeds on a grassy border at Gallaudet University in Northeast Washington....
In a radical departure from traditional lawn care, he is laying aside chemical fertilizers, potent weedkillers and toxic fungicides in favor of an organic approach he believes will be as effective in the long run but kinder to the environment, including the fertilizer-choked Chesapeake Bay.
He and his crews are finishing up a spring overseeding of the 43 acres of lawns, using 10,000 pounds of tall fescue, for the most part. The seeds were dusted with a powder that causes beneficial fungi to grow on grass roots. Called mycorhizae, the microbes are supposed to improve the ability of roots to absorb moisture and nutrients.
The grounds staff will seed again in late summer. In time, Weiser believes, the seeding combined with various treatments will produce a super grass that will simply bully out most of the weeds. Those that remain will be hand-picked or left alone.
This is changing, and homeowners who don't want to maintain their lawns themselves organically can find companies specializing in organic care. Even mainstream companies are offering organic alternatives.
Chemical fertilizers sterilize the soil with their salts, he said, while mycorhizae effectively increase a plant's root system by as much as sevenfold.
Other treatments at Gallaudet this year will include three applications of compost tea and four sprayings of biostimulants, including fish and seaweed extracts and humic acids -- a black liquid derived from a carbonaceous mineral.
These are low in nitrogen and other primary ingredients of fertilizers but promote a rich population of beneficial microbes in the soil, according to Otto and fellow practitioners. He said nitrogen fertilizer is a highly inefficient way to feed plants because "50 percent gasses off and 20 to 30 percent leaches out."
Nitrogen runoff from fertilizers used on farms and suburban lawns is a major cause of pollution in the Chesapeake Bay, and last year contributed to an alarming depletion of oxygen in a 100-mile stretch of water below the Bay Bridge that environmental scientists called a dead zone.
His crew follows other lawn care orthodoxy in mowing the grass high and with very sharp blades, practices that reduce stress and disease problems.
This is brilliant. And, it works.

I use Killex from a squirt bottle ( less pesticide pollution) and then the next day I go around and cut off the top of the plant with a knife. That prevents a last squirt of seed-production as the plant dies.
Mikey:
M > Short of harvesting them for wine, what are M > some good methods you've used for exterminating M > (eliminating) those peksy dandelion weeds?
I've always done the "dig 'em out" method. Dad started me on this 'little' project back when the weeds could be taller than I was. Use a dandelion tool (has a notched end) to go below the surface to get some of the root. If merely pull the top off the plant will regenerate.
One "trick", especially as one gets greying hair, is to use a small bucket to put the dug-up weeds in to. The small bucket needs to be emptied frequently, necessitating getting up off one's knees and walking to the lawn bag. Keeps the knees from freezing into a kneeling position!
S.N.: There are long-handled dandelion tools so one doesn't have to bend over. Personally I have never had that much success with the device: can't control as precisely as with the short-handled version to get the root.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Let me call you sweetheart. (I keep forgetting your name.)
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971