How Come My Brand New Stainless Steel Sink Stains?

Page 4 of 4

Duraceramic is a fake stone - find it at your flooring store. You can have it installed with no grout (abut the tiles together) which is definitely the way to go, IMO. The installers put a sealer on top, and it never has to be re-sealed. I have it in my small foyer, but it was too hard and too expensive for the kitchen, so I have vinyl in the kitchen (what we used to call "inlaid linoleum.")
N.
mg wrote:

You sure do pay a lot for the name brand:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item )0396276638
Jon

Geeze! I'm sure you're right. Normally, I do a lot of price comparison shopping on the internet and I buy a lot of stuff on eBay. I just happened to be in a hurry at the time.

I buy local. Period. If not in my town then at least in my state.
Chemo the Clown wrote:

Usually not the best primary reason. Those who do so sometimes deprive themselves of superior products at a lower prices with self-defeating results.
Adam Smith offered the following example: Italy makes great cheese and mediocre wine. France makes great wine and indifferent cheese. Suppose the Italians resolve to drink only local wine and the French decide to eat only Frog cheese. Each country ends up with dissatisfied consumers, economic stasis, and no wealth being created.

I think everone should buy as local as possible: Everything you use and consume should originate on your own personal real estate, much like in the year 1000.
Myself, I make great computer parts from garden waste, and very durable shoes from our dog that died. You wanna buy those things? Sorry, I only /sell/ local as well, so the wife and kids are my only market; they're not allowed off-property in case they buy something from the neighbors.
--
Tegger

Well...fortunately I live in a great area that has just about everything I need....and want. Yes, I can get good wines, great cheese and other great products. I just like the idea of supporting my home town and not giving my dollars to someplace else. Of course, if you look long enough you will always find someone, someplace selling something cheaper than the next guy but I really don't care.

We had a contractor finish the last kitchen remodel, he put a new double sink in. It as well kept staining, finally afterthree sinks he got a sink from crane and put it in, hasn't stained yet and that was in 2001. Seems there is quite a number of knockoffs from overseas on the market, possibly what you picked up.
Stu
More than simply a recipe website http://foodforu.ca
Please Note: The information in this post is the intellectual property of it's author. If you have made this information available for viewing on a website without the authors authorization you must remove it immediately. Authorization cannot be simply implied, it must come directly from the post's author.

How come my made in china stainless steel saucepans are rusting? Was it made in china?

Because cheap "stainless steel" can rust. More specifically, it's probably not stainless, or they didn't put enough chromium in the steel to stop it from rusting. Guess what kind of quality steel you got from your made in china saucepans? And is it "stainless" or "stainless steel"? I have a nice aluminum spatula that was marked as stainless steel on the label, but on the spatula itself it simply says "stainless". Surprise surprise, it's not steel at all, but an aluminum alloy.
On 2/23/2010 10:39 AM, mg wrote:

Your old sink was made out of a better quality and thicker material. Not only will the new sink stain, it will also dent very easily. Have you noticed that the faucet seems to be flimsier than before? If you shake the faucet a bit you will probably see the sink metal around it deforming slightly.
I'm sure if you looked around a bit you will find something in the commercial sector that would be comparable to your old sink, but I'll bet you will run like hell when you see the price.
Bottom line, we get what we pay for, and in reality by continuing to accept lower quality for lower prices we deserve all the crap that gets dumped on us.
LdB

...plus most sinks today come with three holes - one for the faucet, one for the spray and one for a soap dispenser - if you'd gotten one with the soap dispenser, you'd have no problem with stains from a stand-alone soap container.
N.
- if you'd gotten one

Now that he and everyone here now knows how to clean stainless steel, there is no problem.

Ours has a brushed finish as opposed to a bright finish. My wife became very frustrated trying to remove a stain. I was able to clean it in just a minute with Bon Ami and scrubbing it with the "grain" instead of across it.
Jimmie

I have some "stainless steel" pots and pans with a brushed finish. Stains horribly. wtf do they put brushed finishes on stainless steel stuff?
Zootal wrote:

shiny steel doesn't stay shiny for very long. it scratches and then they get complaints. the brushed finish hides scratches for the most part, and it's easy to remove scratches by adding covering scratches. it's impossible for customers to get scratches out of polished steel without a lot of specialized machinery.

I have "shiny" steel cookware, and it looks much better than the brushed stuff. They are sadly mistaken if they think a brushed finish makes it look better longer - it stains worse and shows scratches that don't go with the grain of the brushing. Lesson learned for me - avoid anything that has a brushed finish :(

Stainless steel means no worry about rust. Quality varies (was this Made in China?) I use Barkeeper's Friend for tougher staining issues, this product is mildly abrasive. Brasso will make a SS sink/faucet sparkle. I wouldn't use either of these products on a new sink however I think you would want to return it for an upgrade. Come on, call Kohler Customer Support, politely tell them the sink stained and you are not satisfied with the product. Ever consider a built-in soap dispenser?
mg wrote:

Did you apply sealer?