How Come My Brand New Stainless Steel Sink Stains?

Submersal in water will allow corrosion if anything breaches the protective oxide layer. Out in the air, the oxide layer could reapir itself. Not so if submergered.

see also: crevice corrosion

This is all VERY basic stuff, and not a secret.

Reply to
salty

Your list doesn't address what I said.

see also: crevice corrosion

Crevice corrosion is the achilles heel of stainless. I have seen one inch diameter bolts made of 316 stainless corrode completely in half rather quickly due to being deprived of oxygen because of being submerged in salt water. You could lay the same bolt in a pile of damp salt and it would be fine.

Reply to
salty

DD_BobK wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e19g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

So if the chromium oxide layer gets damaged, then iron oxide can form?

What I don't understand is why a damaged chromium oxide layer wouldn't immediately re-form, since oxygen is abundant in the OP's environment.

Our 20-year-old kitchen sink has on occasion been scrubbed with a scouring pad, which must have the effect of breaching any chromium oxide layer; the sink has no rust of any kind.

Our kitchen sink is SS, and is magnetic.

Reply to
Tegger

Yup, YMMV. I've never had any of the problems you mention above and my sink always looks clean, bright and spotless.

N.

Reply to
Nancy2

Duraceramic is a fake stone - find it at your flooring store. You can have it installed with no grout (abut the tiles together) which is definitely the way to go, IMO. The installers put a sealer on top, and it never has to be re-sealed. I have it in my small foyer, but it was too hard and too expensive for the kitchen, so I have vinyl in the kitchen (what we used to call "inlaid linoleum.")

N.

Reply to
Nancy2

Your old sink was made out of a better quality and thicker material. Not only will the new sink stain, it will also dent very easily. Have you noticed that the faucet seems to be flimsier than before? If you shake the faucet a bit you will probably see the sink metal around it deforming slightly.

I'm sure if you looked around a bit you will find something in the commercial sector that would be comparable to your old sink, but I'll bet you will run like hell when you see the price.

Bottom line, we get what we pay for, and in reality by continuing to accept lower quality for lower prices we deserve all the crap that gets dumped on us.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

Ours has a brushed finish as opposed to a bright finish. My wife became very frustrated trying to remove a stain. I was able to clean it in just a minute with Bon Ami and scrubbing it with the "grain" instead of across it.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I see nothing I hear nothing.

Reply to
Chemo the Clown

JIMMIE wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s36g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I have some "stainless steel" pots and pans with a brushed finish. Stains horribly. wtf do they put brushed finishes on stainless steel stuff?

Reply to
Zootal

shiny steel doesn't stay shiny for very long. it scratches and then they get complaints. the brushed finish hides scratches for the most part, and it's easy to remove scratches by adding covering scratches. it's impossible for customers to get scratches out of polished steel without a lot of specialized machinery.

Reply to
chaniarts

...plus most sinks today come with three holes - one for the faucet, one for the spray and one for a soap dispenser - if you'd gotten one with the soap dispenser, you'd have no problem with stains from a stand-alone soap container.

N.

Reply to
Nancy2

- if you'd gotten one

Now that he and everyone here now knows how to clean stainless steel, there is no problem.

Reply to
mike

"chaniarts" wrote in news:hm44id$dd5$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I have "shiny" steel cookware, and it looks much better than the brushed stuff. They are sadly mistaken if they think a brushed finish makes it look better longer - it stains worse and shows scratches that don't go with the grain of the brushing. Lesson learned for me - avoid anything that has a brushed finish :(

Reply to
Zootal

Stainless steel means no worry about rust. Quality varies (was this Made in China?) I use Barkeeper's Friend for tougher staining issues, this product is mildly abrasive. Brasso will make a SS sink/faucet sparkle. I wouldn't use either of these products on a new sink however I think you would want to return it for an upgrade. Come on, call Kohler Customer Support, politely tell them the sink stained and you are not satisfied with the product. Ever consider a built-in soap dispenser?

Reply to
Phisherman

Did you apply sealer?

Reply to
HeyBub

Nevermore.

Reply to
krw

Yes.

It does form almost immediately but it takes more than a monolayer of chromium oxide to give significant protection. Formation of a layer of reasonable thickness takes some time.

Mmmmm... probably scratched through the oxide layer in some places but I doubt that the scrubbing removed it. Chromium oxide Cr2O3 is pretty hard, not quite as hard as sapphire but close.

I've had the fun(?) of machining stainless steel, then using it with stump remover and having my beautifully machined and polished parts rust quite nicely.... :-(

-- Best -- Terry

Reply to
Terry

Terry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Then " snipped-for-privacy@dog.com"'s assertion is surely nonsensical.

He contends that the OP's sink has discolored on account of oxygen starvation, but there is no evidence that the OP's sink's Cr2O3 layer was ever compromised.

I have a feeling that there are none in this group who have any real understanding of what is going on with the OP's sink, and are simply making up fantastic and impressive-sounding bedtime stories.

Reply to
Tegger

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 03:49:18 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

There's nothing much to know. Stainless steel doesn't mean stain proof, it means stain resistant. Stainless steel like all steel is an alloy... there are literally hundreds of different alloys/grades of stainless steel. The types of stainless steel used for kitchenware are the lowest grades because home kitchen work does not entail the highly corrosive materials found in manufacturing, ocean vessels, chemical plants, etc. The typical kitchen sink is made of about the poorest grade stainless steel, it will stain and pit from exposure to strong acids, bases, and other common household chemicals... full strength vinegar/citrus allowed to sit will stain, as will ordinary table salt, full strength laundry bleach will stain/pit as will auto dishwasher detergent. Folks place all manner of common household chemicals into their kitchen sink, like soaking paint brushes (water based paints are a strong alkali), and then wonder why they notice stains. Using stainless steel pots for heating brines and acid pickling liquids will stain... for those items use porcelainized cookware... stainless steel cookware is considered nonreactive but not with everything and not for lengthy periods and/or high temperatures. The typical stainless steel cookpot is a slightly higher grade than used for household sinks. The typical stainless steel sinks from the big box hardwares are of the very pooest grade stainless steel... a very long way off from marine grades.

Reply to
brooklyn1