Household goods affordability

Here in Waterloo Region, Ontario, there are MANY places where you can go to a "respectable eatery" for a sub-$25 meal if you don't drink. Both buffet, country style, family style, or a-la-carte.
On 10/22/2013 11:18 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

$100 per person you consider a "normal" meal? Three times a week? Sure, we do that once in a while, but not a couple of times a week just beause we don't feel like cooking.
We have four good restaurants in town and can get away with $40 to $70 for the two of us for a damned good meal of high quality, not Applebees fare.

And you can do if you know where to look. We go to Claudaugh's Pub on Monday for their two for one fish and chips and get out for around $30 with drinks. Tonight we are contemplating going to one of the local pizza places for their buy one pizza get another for $2.22 AND $2.00 drafts with the next one being 2 cents. We can get way too full and way to drunk for less than $20.00 (grin).
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hey, That's not our fault, in this city everything costs more. Explosive growth and booming economy is the reason. We used to have live-in house keeper who cooked as well for us. When kids grow up and went their own no more of that. Just cleaning lady coming every two weeks.
Right now wife is away back home, Seoul Korea to stay with her aging god mother for couple of weeks(maaybe last time together). I am pigging out almost every day now which is not much fun alone.

Utter nonsense. You can easily spend that, if you're nuts, but it's not necessary to get good food. Actually, without alcohol,that's pretty tough to do. I think the most I've paid was at Ruths Chris and that was $150 for the two of us. My wife had a glass of wine, too.

If you want to wait for a tow home, sans toilets.

Surprising number of places, locally, where you can get a good, healthy, sit-down meal for no more than $2 more than a typical fast food meal. A "fast food" meal is NOT a money saver.(unless you are buying off the "bargain menu" "valu meal" etc - in which case what you are getting is usually significantly less than what you would get at the sit-down restaurant too.

Sub $20, including drink (no alcohol) but excluding tax is quite easy here (total w/tax about $21-$24). I can choose Italian, Greek, Mexican, Lebanese, or American for between $15 and $20 for any of the three meals. Of course, they have more expensive dishes and there are more expensive restaurants. $50 for two is easy, as well. No need for it, though. Good food can be had for cheap money.

Such places don't last long. Too much competition.

Sure. Dunk it in gravy.

Because you can make cheap turkey taste good that way.

It doesn't come any other way.
On 10/21/2013 04:26 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Around here, I can't get full on fast food for less than $10-12 just for myself. But there's several all you can eat lunch buffets - off the top of my head, Italian, Chinese, and Indian nearby - where you can get out the door for about the same price. I honestly hardly ever make myself lunch because I doubt I could do it for significantly less money. Used to be a Japanese place too but they raised their prices so I don't go there anymore (which is sad because I love Japanese food.)
I would say that the food is better for you as well, but I do have to admit a weakness for cheese and fat (especially when it's stuffed shells day at the Italian place.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

That shows just how much more money people have, after the basics.

Or, the lack of education and parents in the home. No one knows how to cook, these days.

Sure they do, tells you right on the package...microwave for "x" minutes.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

How hard is it to throw a pizza into the microwave?

That takes a MPz degree. Masters in Pizza.
I'm remembering some thing "from another list". The old woman is at the store, during extended power ct. She is buying microwave popcorn. Other shopper, much younger. "Lucky you, have electricity..." No, the old woman says. Power still out. We're going to take scissors, cut the bags open. Scrape out the oil and pop corn. Cook it up in covered pot on the range top. Which we'll light with a match. The younger woman got excited, and ran to tell her shopping companion, now they can have popcorn.
Some people don't have the recipe to boil water.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 19:15:51 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Why didn't they just buy popcorn and some oil?

Seems more than one expects.

Don't remember. it's been years since I heard this, and I have no way to contact the writer. But, your thought makes sense.

I'm sure not. She is a great cook and baker and candy-maker. ;-) She got my mother's recipe book and is in the process of putting it together for publication (for the rest of the extended family).
OTOH, I have trouble getting the frozen pizza into the microwave. I was hurtin' a year ago when we were living apart during the week. I hate going to a restaurant alone, too.

Well, I did, but dad didn't. Mom was from Minnesota. ;-)

;-)
On 10/14/13 01:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

About 30 years ago friends in California told me that they had been asked, "How can you afford to eat at home? Everything is so expensive."
Perce