Hooking up my Dishwasher ???

We just bought our first house.
My brother (home remodeler) replaced the cupboards and the countertop. He placed the dishwasher next to a cabinet that sits next to the sink. So we have a cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher.
I know this is a strange setup.
How would I hook up this dishwasher without going through the cabinet between the dishwasher and sink?

Behind it the cabinet isn't too deep or underneath if you have room and access. Failing those, you'll have to go through-- unless the missus doesn't mind the wires and pipes going across the top...I guess you could build cover for it...

First, consider these (anything else is likely going to be harder):
Option 1: The "floor" of the cabinet interior is elevated above the floor of the room to the height of the toe-kick (the recess at the lower front of the cabinet). Use a hole saw to cut a hole at the rear of the cabinet below the cabinet floor and above the floor surface of the room. (if you can only come at the dishwasher of the cabinet you will need a drill extention and perhaps a right angle drill.
Option 2: If the cabinet has a drawer at the bottom, there *may* be enough room to run the supply, drain and power behind the drawer if it's secured to the bottom and rear of the cabinet.
Likely, you are required to pull a permit for the the plumbing, the electrical, or both - the inspector(s) will probably like option 1 better than option 2.
Michael Thomas Paragon Home Inspection. LLC Chicago IL mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom 847-475-5668
On 19 Jul 2006 12:32:58 -0700, "MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC"

Why do they do this? If I didn't keep all my money there, the space would go to waste.

mm wrote:

Because most people would not want to bend all the way to floor level to pick up something in the cabinets.

I would move the cabinet and the dishwasher. Swap places.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 536 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Not strange at all.

You can't. Drill a round hole with a 1" hole saw in the toekick space at the bottom/back of the cabinet in between the dishwasher and undersink space. Lots of installations are done this way.

Before you start, read the DW specs to be sure you can run the drain line that far. You don't say how wide the cabinet between is, but there may be a limit on how long the drain line can be extended. Probably OK with a 24" wide cabinet, but might be pushing it with a 30" or 36" inch cabinet.
You can go down (into a basement?) then back up to the drain fitting under the sink. Set an outlet in the basement to plug it in to.
--
Steve Barker

"heyyou_kim" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

I drilled a hole in the floor and ran PVC to a basement laundry tub for the drain and tapped a hot pipe in the basement and ran copper tubing back up through the same hole for a hot water source. Has worked flawlessly for the last 7 years.

I'd really consider moving the cabinet. Unless you have a very good reason not to, you will be living with a very inconvenient setup and HATE it for years to come.
I don't want your brother to work on my house. He has terrible design ideas.