Hooking up gas dryer...

We just built a new laundry room and had a licensed plumber run the gas line and shutoff up to the dryer area.

When the dryer arrives, do I need to call in the plumber to hook it up or is it a straightforward DIY project?

(I have no problem doing minor (water) plumbing and electrical, but am more wary about gas, so I wanted to get advice here first...)

Reply to
blueman

Hi,

This might help to see if you want to try this or not....

Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Greetings,

You can do it yourself.

a) turn off the gas valve b) unscew the gas line cap c) attach a piece of flexable gas hose from the dryer to the gas line d) turn the gas back on e) check for leaks with soapy water

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William Deans

I agree, it is not a big deal, unless you screw it up! This is one job that I would call a tech for if you are at all unsure of what to do. One tiny leak, and ka-boom, where did the house go?? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Hooking up a gas appliance is easy, but if not done correctly could be a hazard. Sometimes the gas company will hook the appliance up for free or a small charge. I used a gas flex hose and Teflon tape to hook up the dryer to the shut off valve. Then I tested the connections with soapy water, then tested again after using the appliance. You may smell gas (the nasty additive that is) the first time it is hooked up, but not after that.

Reply to
Phisherman

Better check on that. It has been a while since I did any gas hookups, but flex line was NOT permitted on any appliance except a stove.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What does code call for in earthquake prone areas, such as San Francisoc? I can't see black iron pipe being a good idea to be run to every appliance, furnace, etc. just to permit things to give a little without breaking.

Reply to
John

On 12/13/2004 9:55 PM US(ET), Edwin Pawlowski took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Everything in my house that uses gas has a flex line between the gas line and the appliance, and that includes a dryer, range, water heater, and fireplace. All inspected and approved. The house was built in 1984, and the fireplace was installed just last year.

Reply to
willshak

I'd have the licensed plumber hook it up for you. (Surprised he didn't offer to include it in your job)

Seems like the incremental cost to have him complete the job wouldn't be a big deal. Plus, if he does the whole job and there is any issue what-so-ever, he would likely come look at it (no room for finger pointing).

mikey.

Reply to
mikey

Greetings,

USAHardware.com sells a "Gas Dryer Installation Kit" with flex hose. I assume it is allowed somewhere within the USA -- maybe even where blueman lives.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William Deans

OK, so tell him how soapy water checks for leaks. And then tell him what to do if the soapy water changes color.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have wondered about using Teflon tape with this sort of flexible gas line. I believe it is a flare fitting between the adapter and the flexible line itself. Wouldn't that mean that Teflon tape on the threads is superfluous, since the connection is made as the two flared surfaces mate? All you need to do, I would think, is tighten the nut full so the two surfaces mate. Is this correct?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

First off, if there is a warranty claim on the gas valve and the manufacturer sees teflon tape in the works of the gas valve, the claim will be denied. The tape will come off and possibly keep the valve from fully closing.

You use thread compound on the pipe threads, not on the flare threads. If you have to ask questions like this, ask yourself "is it worth the safety of my family to possibly endanger them if I mess up?" Electricity has more of a chance to kill you, but a gas leak can kill everyone in your house.

Reply to
HeatMan

Good reference page, IMO. I got a chuckle out of the following excerpt, too:

"or extreme vibration will cause mental fatigue "

MeNtal fatigue? Well, probably, when I think it through.

Pop

| > When the dryer arrives, do I need to call in the plumber to hook it | up | > or is it a straightforward DIY project? | >

| > (I have no problem doing minor (water) plumbing and electrical, but | am | > more wary about gas, so I wanted to get advice here first...) | | Hi, | | This might help to see if you want to try this or not.... | |

| jeff. | Appliance Repair Aid |

Pop

If there is a flared end no Teflon nor sealer should be used. But still, check for leaks.

Reply to
Phisherman

Ooops....typo ;) jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

G'day,