Honda generators

Page 2 of 5
Forger had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Honda-generators-348317-.htm :
Ut oh... I didnt seal up the valve cover... Im now wondering after reading these two posts if thats my problem, I'll try that right now, thanks. ------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 329719 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
I am looking at a generator in this WEIGHT range. I already have a much heavier unit that takes a hoist to put into a vehicle. The Yamaha YG2800i is what I want to acquire once they become available again. A bit more power, a few more pounds but a bit less expensive for an inverter-type unit than the Honda. Tom

For occasional use disposable unit, ETQ makes one I really like. I got an ETQ from Ebay for about $150, including shipping. Runs well enough to power a very old furnace with about half HP blower motor. I was astounded how quiet. And, it's about 55 pounds so I don't get a triple hernia trying to lift it. 1000 watts or so, with one power socket. But, it's useful. I bet it runs about 200 hours before it wears out, and then buy another one. But for my use, that's 20 years of useful life. Mine gets maybe 10 hours a year of run time.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Vaughn Simon wrote: ...

And why should a company not be allowed to set whatever policies for their dealers/products they wish?
Surely if this particular peccadillo of yours were particularly user-belligerent it would be self-defeating and correct itself...
the one place that listed a price on Google search was about a thousand dollars. I can get several ETQ brand generators for that money.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Apples and oranges. I could have bought several tents for the price of my home.
Vaughn
I agree. However, if you want to provide 1,000 watts for a couple hours, it is good to know about the cheaper ETQ.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Vaughn Simon wrote:

There are many dompanies doing that. Not only Honda.

Yes, that's a honda thing. If your needs fit an inverter generator (most people's don't), I recommend the Yamaha line, partially because of the honda thing. The Yamahas are actually better units and Yamaha doesn't have that same price-fixing attitude of honda.

Before you buy a generator and before I can offer any advice you need to identify what you want to do with it. Sit down, ask yourself that, write it down and post it. Then we can look at some possibilities.
John -- John De Armond See my website for my current email address http://www.neon-john.com http://www.johndearmond.com <-- best little blog on the net! Tellico Plains, Occupied TN Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy?

I bought two 1000 watt Yamaha inverter generators for my employer (initially chose Yamaha because they were a bit cheaper & fit within my corporate credit card limit). They are wonderful jewels! Yamaha is every bit as good as Honda.
Vaughn
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:01:44 GMT, "Vaughn Simon"

Can they be run in parallel?
Z has given figures for Honda eu2000 life, I have had similar life for a Honda engined generic genset, do you think Yamaha will be as long lived?
Has anyone any experience of running Yamaha inverter gensets on lpg?
AJH
The (below) link does show some parallel kits. Also lighting kit, and tri fuel so you can run LPG.
http://www.google.com/products?q=+Honda+EU2000i+&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:32:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I like the idea of LPG. You don't have fuel sitting in the tank or carb or anything. A little oil fog at shutdown for storage and it is good to go next time. With gas or diesel you have greater potential for fuel problems.

The TRI fuel kits are great you can even run them off home NG at a cheaper cost.

I have no direct experience, but this company http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-gas-generators.com/ claims to be factory-authorized to sell new/warrantied Yamaha generators pre-converted to LPG or tri-fuel. They also sell kits.
Vaughn
Vaughn Simon wrote:

That tri-fuel model looks very interesting. I also like that it is surge-rated to 6000W. It's heavier than I wanted... I'll have to think about it. Thanks.
Bob

Re the above discussion of Honda versus Yamaha. Is it not interesting that some of the best products (generators, motor cycles, cars, electronics etc.) come from Japan; one of the countries with high wages, and one of the most expensive to live in in the world! Back before WWII Japanese goods were considered tinny and cheap, same as Chinese and certain other Asian goods are viewed today. Just wait until the Chinese, as they are rapidly doing, improve the quality of their products and raise their standard of living, along with competition from India. The rest of the 'Old World' won't get a look in! So long British bicycles, German cars, US electronics and electrics etc.! For some time certain 'quality products' such as custom built yachts and fine furniture, have been produced in places such as Hong Kong, once again part of China. Makes on think, eh?

It is obnoxious to find honda stuff online, as they seem to not want their dealers to sell outside their territory. For just plain engines, I like a place called Helmuth Repair. They don't pull shipping price scams either.
What's better about the yamaha generators? Are these the ones with a blue housing?

I want to be able to run my furnace blower, gas oven ignitors, refrigerator, TV, laptop computer, and a few fluorescent lights during an extended power outage during the winter. Or during the summer, the same thing except a 8000 BTU (11 EER) window A/C instead of the furnace. I also have a couple of freezers that might need to be plugged in a couple of hours each day, but I could unplug the fridge when I do that. I think I could get by OK with a generator rated for 110V 1600W continuous power. I could certainly get by with it a lot better than I could with no generator at all.
The Honda is also a nice size to throw in the back of a truck to take to a job site to run 110V power tools, like various electric saws or lighting.
I keep putting off buying a generator because the power here in town is so reliable. But my parents down in East Texas near Houston have been living off a cheap 5000W generator for a week now and it's scary how fast it burns up the gasoline they had stored. One gas station just opened up for business again a couple of days ago (all the other stations are still closed because they don't have power) and you have to wait for hours in line at the one Exxon station and hope they don't run out before you get to the front of the line. We don't get hurricanes up here, but we do get tornadoes and ice storms (usually not at the same time)
That's why the tri-fuel conversion looks mighty good.
Bob