Homelite string strimmer tool

Where can I find a tool for adjusting the carburetor for a Homelite string trimmer. I can not find one like this. Have found lots of other similar carb tools.

This adjustment screw has a round head with a small hole off center drilled in it. Similar to a nutdriver with a pin near the edge would be what I am trying to find.

I may have to resort to taking it out and cutting a slot in it with my Dremal tool.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Would these be it?

Google and Ebay are your friends.

Reply to
trader_4

Thanks, but those are not the kind I need. I have been all over ebay and google and have not found one like I need.

That one is sort of close, but where the thing sticking down is, it is not a wedge, but a pin that does not go to the edge of the screw.

I don't know what they are called, but they make a screw that has two small holes in the head. I have some bits that fit screwdriver handles like that. The screws on the trimmer only have one hole in the top of the screw and it is round.

I just rebuilt the carb on my chain saw and had to order a spline type tool for it. Seems there are 4 types of tools I can find. The spline, the D type, and the Packman type like you showed. Just can not find the one that has a single pin in it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ralph,

It's called a spline tool.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Thanks, but no that is not it. I have one like that I used to adjust my Poulan chain saw. The screws on the string trimmer are smooth on the outside edges.

What I need is similar to one on this page. It is the one on the bottom and left side called a Spanner Drilled Tamper Proof.

Looks like a two prong fork fits this type. I have drivers for those kinds.

The only thing is there is only one hole instead of two holes for the tool to fit in.

That is why it will take something similar to what you showed except it needs to have a small (say about 1/64 of an inch in diameter or so pin sticking out of it near but not at the edge. The pin does not need to stick outside of the end of the tool.

I tried a trick I saw on Youtube about taking an electrical crimp connector and slipping the plastic over the screw. This sort of works, but not well enough for me to get the trimmer adjusted like it should before they slip.

It is not like any of these.

I have several kits of differant screwdriver/nutdriver types of tool bit assortments and not one of them will fit the ones on the Homelite trimmer.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I did make one error and it is a Troy Bilt instead of a Homelite. Still have not found the tool.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

All my ideas have been suggested prior.

You could try putting a slot in w/ a Dremel tool.

Drill another hole opposite the existing one and use two drill bits or pins in a vise grip to act as a spanner. Sometimes these screws are not meant to be removed.

Take it to a Troy dealer and ask if he has the tool...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Go to the Troy-bilt site they have info but you need model numbers.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ralph,

Think about it. The splines do not matter. That's the right tool

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Dave, I have a tool like that I use on my Poulan chain saw. It will not work on the string trimmer.

At first I thought the tool I have would work and tried it,but when the carburator would not even attempt to adjust I took a close look at the tool and screws and found the screws were smooth on the outside and had a small hole in the top that is off center.

I did make a slight mistake in the the trimmer is not a Homelite, but a Troy-Bilt.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The reason you can't find this tool is that it is not to be sold to the general public. (along with some of the others)

See

scroll down the page for picture and p/n of "pin" tool

See

for a copy of the EPA notice for this, along with the penalties for a dealer selling such.

Googling found some tips on using a piece of vinyl tubing to "grab" the screw head.

Good Luck......

Reply to
Retired

Thanks, I now know the part number to look for . Seems that it has been removed from the places I looked at. Funny how that tool is missing, but for many other similar carb tools I can find all I want.

Guess that I will remove the screws and take my Dremal tool to them and cut a slot for a screwdriver.

I tried the tubing thing I saw on youtube about using an electrical connector. I had plenty of them, but they seemed to slip and not adjust very well.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

After checking several of the usual places (ebay. Amazon ) with the part number and searching for about an hour off and on, it seem that the part number is out of stock every where. Seems that there are all kinds of other carb adjusting tools around, but not this one. I would have thought that China would have one, but could not fine it if they do.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery