Home electricial testers

IMO DIYers would do better not to use a mulitmeter for home wiring.
The main tester I think home owners should use is one like this. It tests voltage and continuity. No phantom readings. http://tinyurl.com/5czhas
These are pretty handy too. http://www.professionalequipment.com/handy-gfi-electrical-outlet-tester-gfi-302a/circuit-testers /

I tried a neon test light once; it was worthless, the capacitance between adjacent wires in a romex cable was enough to display continuity. I ended up creating a "test lamp" using a 15W bulb in a lamp fixture to get the job done.

http://www.professionalequipment.com/handy-gfi-electrical-outlet-tester-gfi-302a/circuit-testers /
the DIYer should first learn the basics of electricity.
Without that basic understanding, all the data that get from the meters of any sort will not lead to a safe do it yourself repair.
If you screw up a carpentry job or the paint looks like hell a blunder there will only hurt your pride and pocketbook.
Mess up an electrical project and you may get to meet the local fire department or even worse the local EMTs or coroner.
Charlie

Why not?
Thanks!

A tester like the one in the link will tell you if the circuit is live/dead or open/closed.
Multi meters are very sensitive. With them, you can get phantom voltage readings (Google it) which can be misleading.
"Most" DIYers will have better results testing for on/off or make/break conditions.