Home Depot True Stories

Page 1 of 4
Let's start a new thread.
I'd like to hear the stories of people who have pointed out mistakes to the cashier, or who have spoken up every time when such a thing happened. In any transaction.
I think it will be a short thread.
Remember, you have to have pointed out the error to the cashier, and you have to have done it EVERY time it happened in your life.
Steve, who's waiting in anticipation
Steve B writes:

Count me in.
On the most recent occasion, the cashier thought I was weird, as if a normal person would never do that.
As Bruce Williams used to say, you wouldn't steal something big, why would you become a thief because it was just a little?
Well, yesterday at Lowes. Cashier forgot to ring up an item. I pointed it out. No way I'm going to just steal something due to an oversite.
-Tim

I've had that happen to me several times. Often when I buy plumbingitems I screw them together to make sure they fit and keep them together, and the girl will ring up just one of them. If I hate thieves why should I steal?
--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/

Steve B, 9/27/2006,1:00:53 AM, wrote:

A couple of weeks ago we bought ten cans of paint at lowes and I was charged for eleven of them. I questioned the charge since it seemed high to me and we had to hold up the line while everything got rescanned.
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:00:53 -0700, "Steve B"

While you are waiting your wife is doing the neighbor.

And who can blame her really, after living with so much anal retentiveness?

Speaking of anal, I am putting you and Caesar in the plonk file. A nice dark place.
Y'all have fun now, hear?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Not exactly what you want, but not until I got home did I notice that I had been charged $2.50 for an item that I had not ordered. Since Home Depot is 10 miles away, I decided to forget it since it would have cost that much in gas. Now I watch their cashiers like a hawk. BTW, Lowes is further but I prefer to shop there. Frank
Steve B wrote:

I don't have a HD story but one time a brokerage firm credited me with an extra $50,000. I called my broker, told him and he said, "Wait and see what happens". I waited...what happened was that a couple of weeks later they caught the error and grabbed the 50 large.
The moral...I should have called my broker and told him I wanted to withdraw *everything* and close the account. Then I should have gone to Costa Rica :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Did they collect the earned interest from your account, also? -- Oren
Oren wrote:

Yes <sob>
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Actually I was on the development team for those things. And we determined that it would be just as easy to steal from the store going through a regular lane as going through them. In other words, if someone is going to steal, it's easy to steal. The security measures on the self checkout lanes are probably overkill since they probably slow down transactions more than they catch anyone shoplifting. In a supermarket, every item has to be placed in bags where they are weighed precisely. In Home Depot, it's hardly practical to put each large item that you might buy there on the security/bag scale.
a story about a person in law enforcement comes to mind here
rumor was he bought a machine that makes upc labels, and got people to go to home depot and put the labels he made over the label the store had on items, with his label being of a significantly lower price, then the person would check out and pay, rumor was $69 for an $800 item, etc.

Didn't they think it was odd when the description on the register was completely different than the item being scanned? UPC codes don't codify pricing, just the item SKU. So to get a lower price, you'd have to make the item 'describe' a cheaper one, and then the display on the register wouldn't match what's being scanned.
-Tim

don't know that it was completely different, and logic dictates it would be a similar item

Steve B wrote:

Reprinted from previous thread:
Here is my story:
I was in Home Depot for some miscellaneous items and noticed a water dispenser (the kind that heats and chills water from a water bottle, free standing) with a sign on top of it that said $89.00. I had been looking at these because my wife wanted one for the house and I had been researching prices. I knew that this one was regularly about $200 and saw that the tabletop models were right next to the ones with the special sign. I was not looking to buy one of these at that moment, but I knew that was the wrong price. I grabbed the sales rep in that area and told him that I think that sign is supposed to be on the table top models. He argued with me and said that no, the special was for these standalones. I then asked; if I carry this down to the register, is it going to ring up at $89.00? He said absolutely. I told him that I had been looking at these and that was an exceptional price for that model, it was even a good price for the table top model and that he should check to make sure that that was the correct price. He then became surly and informed me that this was his dept. and he had installed the sign and knew what he was talking about.
At that point, I decided if that was the price, I needed to buy it, since it was such a good deal. I asked him to come with me to the checkout to make sure there were no problems. He grabbed a cart, put the dispenser in it and walked up to the checkout with me. The cashier scanned the bar code and it rang up at $192.00 and change. I looked at the sales guy and, without a word, he did an override on the transaction and sold me the unit for $89.00. The next time I passed by there, the sign was on the table top model.
In addition to that one, I always point out undercharges and overcharges. The last one was a set of wedges for an axe handle that I found in the basket while loading my items into my truck. Took them back inside to pay the $1.29. The cashier looked at me funny and told me he couldn't believe I came back for that. I just told him that I like to sleep at night.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

You have failed to swear and avow that you have done this at EVERY opportunity in your life.
Steve

to the

In
I can think of a couple. I bought a few things at Wal-Mart, including a pair of work shoes that were $39.99. It rang up to less than $25.00. I knew that couldn't be right, and said so. The clerk hadn't scanned the shoes. She corrected it, and I paid it. I have been given incorrect change in my favor several times, and I've always pointed it out. I'm also quick to point out when they overcharge me. I recently had a cake scan the higher and the wrong price in the self-serve check out at Albertson's. I had to get a clerk to help since the cake was on sale. She insisted on giving it to me for free, I said I didn't mind paying the correct price, but she said it was store policy, so I took it. That's just me, but I can't speak for others.
Cheri