Home Depot lifetime warranty

Page 1 of 2
I bought some caulk at Home Depot. I had it in the trunk of the car. It is a car I hardly drive. Anyway....the caulk has been there for several years.
I put it in a calk gun and it won't pump anything. I even took a coat hanger to try to open the spout. I gouged it pretty good.
I carried it to Home Depot today to see if I could trade it for another tube. The girl said that it has a use by date on the tube had passed. That kind of voids the lifetime warranty. She said the lifetime warranty was for the applied caulk. I wonder how you could get another tube for some that has already been applied? :)

Stop wondering and call the manufacturer's 800 number? Sounds like the HD replies were fair.
-- Oren

Probably not worth the quest. I had something similar with a whole house water filter where I broke the housing on a Sunday morning and ran to the hardware store to get a replacement. When I sent in the warranty card and told them I had dropped and broken housing, they sent me a new housing. Years later I used the new filter to replace the old and the new one leaked. Manufacturer would not honor warranty. They would not listen to my reasoning that although the warranty card was mailed in about 6 years ago, that I just got around to using the product ;) Frank

A local ad is selling 1500 tubes of caulk for $700.00(?); image getting any warranty replacement service.
-- Oren
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 16:32:09 -0700, Frank wrote:

That's happened to me, sucks.
Terry wrote:

It sounds like a fair policy. I would not be surprised if the manufacturer might offer a free replacement, but think about it. They don't really owe you a replacement. I wonder if I can return that quart of milk I bought two years ago? :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Greetings,
I wish there was an option when you were at the checkout to purchase the ability to return or not with two different prices. I don't like having to pay extra for people who use the return system to see what they can get away with rather than to return defective products.
William Deans

Define lifetime warranty.
I never bought any milk that had a lifetime warranty, but the caulk plainly says "lifetime warranty"

In use, of course.

You already got your answer: the warranty is for the applied caulk. Don't like it? Call the manufacturer. Maybe they'll send you a replacement tube just to shut you up.
--
Regards,
On Jun 3, 8:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Who put sand in your vagina?

Bob

Life of the product.
-- Oren

But it also has a "use by" date and you didn't use it by that date, thus voiding the warranty. Seems fair to me. Why should the manufacturer have to pay for your negligence?
I have a set of (front) brakes on my 01 Camry that have a lifetime warranty from Auto Zone. Of course every 3 years when I go in there is a newbie there who has to be instructed how to give me a new set. I plan on trying to give the 75 year old with the batteries a run for who the bigger cheapskate is.. ;/)
I'm 48 and I'm about 5 years into this one.. CP

I checked when I bought new pads recently. The "lifetime" warrantee no longer covers "wear and tear".
Bob
Mine does.... But It's possible they don't offer it for NEW purchases anymore. I just returned mine for a new pair ..(ahem)... of pads...
Charles
Re: Home Depot lifetime warranty Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Jun 4, 2007, 12:57pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (BobF) I checked when I bought new pads recently. The "lifetime" warrantee no longer covers "wear and tear". Bob
Terry wrote: ..

I also said it had a useful life and I would say that is its lifetime (while in the tube).
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Terry wrote:

The tube doesn't leak, does it?

not when its hard:)

You haven't provided the particular product nor the actual wording of the guarantee/warranty so it's not possible to judge what was said other than the one word you selected to highlight.
So, here's a typical one from a DAP product -- I'm _quite_ sure the one on the product you bought was/is actually written quite similarly and clearly will only cover the application, not that the material will remain in a usable state in the tube indefinitely.
"Lifetime Durability Guarantee: DAP warrants the performance of this product for sealant purposes during the lifetime of your home. If not satisfied with product performance when used as directed,..."
Note that both the definition of what "lifetime" means and the useage/ application are specified...
As stated before, I really hope you weren't _seriously_ expecting the manufacturer or HD to replace these...