Home computer problem

Page 2 of 7

position
trust.
Not at all. I am suggesting you start with not trusting any site and exploring and trusting as in incrementally and related process. All it takes is one incident. There's a side benefit. When all the NY Times readers were complaining bitterly about all the full page Flash ads, the ads the jiggle, the ads that scream, the full page cleft-palate ads, etc. I realized I hadn't had ANY of them inflicted on me.
I will be the first to admit that it gets inconvenient at times but IMHO, there's nothing more inconvenient than having to reload or rebuild a machine because someone did a drive-by download. It always happens at the worst time. I just hope the OP doesn't need the PC to do his taxes.
I don't care about YouTube and I am more than happy to have a lot of tracking techniques like the new allegedly "impossible to erase" Flash cookies completely disabled because I use neither Flash nor very much JavaCrap. I've cleaned up a lot of machines for friends who got infesterated with worms, keystroke recorders, etc. No fun, lots of anxiety and never a feeling that you got it all. Getting seriously hosed is much akin to the old saw "A Republican is merely a Liberal who's been mugged." It changes a user's attitude toward their PC.

That's one way to do it, depending on where your comfort level lies.

And slow it down. I use older machines that draw a lot less current (read $) than modern machines and the sloppiness of modern coding is quite apparent. My PCs are used for information surfing, newsreading, reading the news, email, word processing and MP3 playing, mostly. With AdBlock and NoScript my world is obviously quite different from yours. My nephew and my techie friends howl when I tell them <gasp> I still use dialup. (-: When you strip away all the BS Flash ads and block all the tracking sites, things speed up tremendously.
Every anti-something you add on increases the chance that you'll get unwanted interactions. Whenever I encounter Norton, the first thing I do is strip it because it's always locking something up. Was great in 1990 but not so much now.
Most websites other than Google are hideous violations of the rules of human factors engineering and good design. Many assume a fixed resolution and cannot reflow well into other screen sizes, something that the original HTML specs were quite concerned with. Human-computer interaction studies have shown time and time again that there's a really rather small limit to how many choices a user can hold in his head at one time. It's assumed to be less than ten. Name a website that has as few as 10 choices. Google, once upon a time but not anymore. When you add in drop downs, mouseovers and highlighted links, many home pages have 100 choices or more on their home pages. And stupid Flash ads that you have to wait through to get to the content you seek. This way chaos lies.
So Peter, I think it's obvious we have very different needs/uses. That's not a bad thing, just the way things are. The OP has to decide what kind of surfer he wants to be and how to protect himself accordingly.
When I restore/rebuild an infesterated machine, I alway load Firefox with NoScript and AdBlock and people are happy to be able to surf again and decide, proactively (and easily) which sites they need JavaCrap activated on. Having their "Shields Up" becomes understandably comforting because it's a seriously *badly* feeling when you know someone's taking control of your computer from some site half a world away.
NoScript protects you from a lot of bad things. What I like is that it shows me how many places a website is reaching out to as it draws the page, like Discover.com bank making an excursion to www.RU4.com which made me a little nervous. WTF? Allowing universal use of JavaCrap is just asking to get splattered again. While a lot of trash comes in through Windows messaging, the really harmful stuff is almost always courtesy of JavaCrap.
-- Bobby G.

After the 3rd time, that's when I changed to Linux. That was 10 yrs ago.

Strangely enough, NoScript is showing that "about:blank" script on Google's primary search site. Even stranger, not consistently across different browser and OSs. I've now blacklisted that script via NS's "untrusted" function on all boxes.
If you wanna try another crap killer check the host file approach:
http://accs-net.com/hosts /
This is an old inactive site but has lotta links and the concept is sound. Don't know if it works with current Window incarnations, but with Linux it will kill TONS of banners and ads, even with the old lists. Unfortunately, while that cleft-palate ad will be gone, its page space remains and has a "link unreachable" or similar msg still taking up space. Not as elegant as NoScript, but definitely effective.
As for Google, they're beginning to get on my nerves, too. I've been using duckduckgo.com, lately, with good results. Their main claim to fame is they keep no tracking records. Google would track your every breath, if they could.
nb
On 4/4/2011 11:04 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Using adblock plus, pop-up blocking, and deleting cookies (and flash cookies) at the end of each session, I also never experienced any of the garbage you refer to and never disabled java or javascript. As seems typical in the IT world today, there's often more than one way to accomplish a desired result.
I don't know what you mean by "exploring and trusting as in [sic] incrementally and related process." As you know, you can only learn to "trust" a site by disabling some of your noscript protection and then, it only takes 1 unfortunate click to learn that the site can't be trusted. You can experience 20 safe links on a site and the 21st may be poison (either due to innocence or malevolence on the part of the web page author).
In other words, I believe that you have to allow your system to be at least somewhat vulnerable in order to surf beyond google's hit list. You are doing it in a way that makes you comfortable. I am doing it in a way that makes me comfortable.
If I am wrong, please inform all of us how you can learn to trust a site without letting some of your shields and guards down and just seeing what happens.
Bob-tx wrote:

Can you ping them?
--
All is as it is.

On 4/3/2011 5:43 PM, LSMFT wrote:

Good question!
Jeff
On 4/3/2011 1:26 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

Look for an anti-malware program that will remove a "browser hijacker" which is what I think got on your machine. I have to clean stuff like that off friend's and customer's computers all the time. Good luck!
http://www.free-web-browsers.com/support/browser-hijackers.shtml
TDD
"Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in message

When you find out, please tell me how you got it to do this. I would like to block Bing. Dumbasses. They start with some interesting headline, and it takes six or seven clicks after looking through piles of ads and other pages to find what you want. And that frickin popup search engine. I'm happy with Google, thank you very much, and am not interested in anything Bing.
Anyone know how to block Bing?
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Steve B wrote:

Tools/Manage Add-ons Toolbars and extensions - Disable Bing Search providers - Disable Bing. Check box at bottom "Prevent programs from suggesting changes to my search provider"

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Steve
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 21:39:39 -0700, "Steve B"

You don't need to BLOCK it, just don't install it , and unistall it if you have installed it. Bing is not a virus or a trojan - but you need to be carefull not to download it with other stuff you download. Gotta read all the fine print.
On 4/3/2011 2:26 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

Don't know where you are on this problem, but if all else fails try Combo Fix:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix
Try this first though:
http://shop.malwarebytes.org
Combo Fix is very powerful, maybe too.
Jeff

On 4/4/2011 1:09 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

One more thing, and I assume this applies to 7 but don't know for sure. Look in the system32 folder, sort by date, and see if there are any recent entries. If so rip them out if they look bad and remove any traces of them from the registry.
You may also try searching for "Google" in the registry and see what suspicious entries pop up. Sometimes it takes a few passes to get these out.
The other option is to search for files that were changed in the range of dates where the trouble started.
These are man power intensive, but can provide clues to just what happened.
I've never failed to fix a computer, sometimes you just have to wear it down. Is it worth it?
Jeff

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 14:25:55 -0400, Jeff Thies wrote:

He's got a DNS hack from a virus . Probably a rootkit and a botnet client too. The DNS hack keeps the infected computer from resolving any site name where the symptoms can be researched and resolved.
On 4/4/2011 2:52 PM, A. Baum wrote:

Oh, that isn't very pleasant! For those that don't know, the rootkit gives a hacker access at the most fundamental level.
If so, Combo Fix is probably going to be the best bet for someone with modest computer knowledge.
I'd physically disconnect from the internet first.
Note, my windows knowledge is limited. I know enough to take care of myself and my clients that run windows servers and that is about it. I really don't want to know more.
Google yields this on win 7 DNS:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-change-dns-settings-in-windows-7-vista
I sometime alter DNS on my local box (XP) when I need to run a local webserver. It's different on XP.
That may, or may not help the OP. I still think Combo Fix.
Jeff
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 15:41:19 -0400, Jeff Thies wrote:

vista
I forget what it's commonly referred to but the right combo of key words in a google search will yield a lot of results about nameserver or resolver exploitation from infections .
There is a need to differentiate the exploits between name servers and Windows resolvers.
"Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in message

Dump those two memory hogs IE & FF. Use Opera & you'll never go back to either one. Although I have several protections, it appears hackers & such do not like writing programs to exploit Opera.
BTW, Opera uses approx 1/3 the memory of FF.

They still charging a fee, unlike everyone else?
nb

I've had Opera for 7 years, never was a fee in any of those years.

Excellent!
I may give it another shot. In the beginning, Opera charged $39 for a real working copy. That was yrs ago in its early days.
nb

what version of Opera are you using? I use 10.62,was wondering how the later versions are working.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik