Home computer problem

Page 1 of 7
Sorry, I guess this is OT, but I have seen other computer questions addressed in here.
I have the darndest problem I ever heard of. Using Win-7 Home Edition Premium. Using IE (Internet Explorer) or Foxfire, I can not get to Google, Bing, or Yahoo. Furthermore, I can not get to any site that references any of those search engine sites.
Using a friend's computer, I have searched every place I can find. I see where others have had this problem, and some have fixed it. I tried all their solutions to no avail. I have gone to MS sites without any luck. I have been to all the computer related NGs, again, without any luck.
So, my question is: Does anyone know of any good interactive sites to try to get a weird problem solved?
TIA, Bob-tx
On 4/3/2011 2:26 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

Turn off whatever W7 has for a 'safe surfing' or 'net nanny' protection. Sounds like it thinks these sites are evil and is blocking them. Had a similar problem with the browsing protection in AVG and in PCTools (on different computers). If the site came up at all, it took several minutes. After about the 3rd blocked but known-safe site, I disabled the utilities, and all was back to normal. I saw later that they now ask if you want to install them when you are installing the virus/malware protection. I can only figure, that unless you have an ultra-fast connection, which the idiot programmers assume everyone has, it takes to long to bump the big database in the sky when you type in a URL, and the program times out.
--
aem sends...

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:26:17 -0500, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:

You might get lucky, but you'll waste a lot of time. I had the same problem a couple times, and each time it was a virus. One time I fixed it for kicks, but I used to be in the business of fixing such things. It can be a PITA, and you'll still feel your PC is "dirty." The second time I just restored from an image. If you don't find an answer pretty quick, I suggest you reinstall or load an image. Use an anti-virus program in the future. I use free AVG but there are others. If you want real recovery protection and don't like reinstalling your system, learn to image copy your system. I use Ghost but there are others. Think I had AVG installed when the problem happened the second time, but since I have an image I can live dangerously. Good luck.
--Vic

Thanks for the good info, Vic. I have AVG installed as well, and it is up to date, and run daily. I also run Ccleaner, Malwarebyte, and Superantispyware, daily. I agree that I think I have a virus from somewhere. I REALLY don't know how to restore individual files, nor would I know what files to restore. I am pretty much at a stand still and frustrated. Thanks for the info though.
Bob-tx
On 2011-04-03, Bob-tx <No> wrote:

Not sure if this is any help, but I've been researching a script called about:blank.
It's also known as Homepage Hijacker. I run NoScript, which kills all client-side scripts, then lists the scripts it has killed. I'm seeing this about:blank far too often, even on www.google.com. If you can get any search page working, search for about:blank and do some reading. I've been leaning toward the duckduckgo search page, lately.
http://duckduckgo.com /
nb
notbob wrote:

"about:blank" is the default url for "no home page." Pick Tools/Internet Options and punch the "Use blank" button and you'll see it.

== Very true...it's been there for ages...however there is a "Home hijacker" program by the same name unfortunately. "Not Bob" panics easily and when he saw info on "about:blank" on an anti-malware site he presumed it was after him. He won't use Flash or Java and consequently some sites won't work for him. His problem not anyone else's. ==
==

Thanks for the idea, I'll get on it tomorrow. I have tried duckduck, and it appears to be working. Bob-tx
Bob-tx wrote:

Yeah, my neighbor's computer got a virus and did the same thing, Malwarbytes got it out. You will have to download it from another computer to a flash drive and install it on your computer because as you noticed the virus blocks access to most help sites. The free one ought to work good enough, http://www.malwarebytes.org / A good way to spend the Sunday afternoon.
message

I have Malwarebytes and run it daily, but it hasn't touched my problem.
Bob-tx
Bob-tx wrote:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/52886-google-results-hijacked.html
On 4/3/2011 5:47 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

Sometimes when I have trouble, I do a system restore, under windows accessories, and take system back to date it functioned properly. It will not destroy any files you saved or altered.
Frank wrote:

Nor will it repair, replace, or remove any malware.
A "system restore" merely returns the registry to a pre-existing condition. That MAY very well return a computer to a working condition, but not always.
For example, if "explorer.com" has been replaced by a program of the same name that erases your hard drive, a system restore won't help.

This thread was very helpful to me. Extinguished any residual desire that might have surfaced to get a W7. Back to my Apple. (g)
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You don't have to do that. Simply add the line: "This email sent from my Iphone (Ipad, etc.)" and all your beautiful people friends will THINK you have an Apple.
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:26:17 -0500, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:

Almost guaranteed you have a virus. Most likely one that masquerades as an anti-virus program and shuts off access to anything other than itself that might possibly be able to get rid of it.
All I can say is good luck, and get someone who knows what they are doing to fix it for you. It is NOT simple.

Yahoo.
sites.
solutions
try
And if he does get it fixed, which I agree is dicey, drop IE like a hot potato and use Firefox, NoScript and AdBlock. Javacrap makes for great interactivity - for the bad guys as well as the good. The default position should be "everyone's a bad guy until proven otherwise." Turn all Java-anything off unless it's a site you need to access and one you trust.
-- Bobby G.
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 19:46:23 -0400, "Robert Green"

My experience is it is NOT java, and it is NOT IE that causes the problem. Shut off the microsoft windows messaging system as that is what is being used to get the crap in past the antivirus programs.
On Apr 3, 8:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

== Bingo ==
On 4/3/2011 7:46 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Yeah, but. One of the joys of using the internet is exploring, browsing, following links to unfamiliar sites that may become some of your favorites. What you are suggesting is analogous to never to travelling out of town, and if you have to, only eating in the same chain restaurants that you have tried in your own home town. Not a fun way to live.
I use Firefox for browsing and have the add-on LinkExtend installed. It consolidates the reviews of 7 web site safety utilities (including Norton, WebOfTrust, Google Safe Browsing, Site Advisor, and others) into one toolbar icon that changes color depending upon the ratings. A drop down menu from the icon lets you easily navigate to each ratings site's listing for that specific page.
When I land on an unfamiliar page, and the icon is any color but green, I'll immediately check the ratings before clicking on any link on the unfamiliar page. Sometimes, the ratings are what I consider to be appropriate warnings and sometimes they appear to be false alarms. So far, since using this add-on, I've avoided (I believe) all problems with malicious sites. I also have free AnviVir antivirus, COMODO's free firewall, Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster, and SuperAntiSpyware installed, up to date, and use the scanners in most of those utilities regularly to help keep my system clean.