Sretna nova godina!
Tako i vama sve najbolje
---
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:12:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

AIUI, the law currently provides a tax reduction to developments which prohibit children. If they then allow children they would lose their tax exemption. That's all. No change in the law required, no change in the system, just a different tax rate for a place that decides to accept children.
This won't be a secret. It will be known and discussed before they vote on it.
Maybe they shouldn't make such a change if anyone objects to it, or if two people do, but otoh, what if no one objects and some want it. What if things change and they can't sell homes anymore because buyers only want homes that take children. Who knows? But they certainly shouldn't be stuck forever with the original rules if (almost?) everyone wants to change them.

That is a HUGE change in taxes.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote the following:

Whether or not you have childrenin school, or did have them at one time, moving into a senior housing community does not exempt you from statel school taxes, at least, not here in NYS. I'm 72, and the youngest of my children is 30 years old. I still pay state school taxes. Are senior citizens exempt from state school taxes in your state?
Bill In Hamptonburgh, NY In the original Orange County. Est. 1683 To email, remove the double zeroes after @

Don't despair. Maybe he will graduate soon. Or at least he can get a high school equivalency certificate.

I had the impression in at least one state, they paid a lower property tax rate.

mm wrote the following:

What state?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Sanity wrote the following:

Yes, and I do use it. Maybe you should read the line that I was questioning? about PROPERTY taxes? You, see, 'STAR' stands for "School TAx Relief ", not "PROPERTY": tax relief, else it would be PTAR, which wouldn't make sense, unless it was pronounced somewhat like pteradactyl, where the P would be silent, but I digress. They are separate taxes where I live in NY. I pay both property taxes and school taxes.
Bill In Hamptonburgh, NY In the original Orange County. Est. 1683 To email, remove the double zeroes after @
And an adult community pays property tax and very little school tax. Why is that different from what you are paying?
Sanity wrote the following:

Well, my area allows children, and even pets. Let's go back to the original message and start over, shall we?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Sanity wrote the following:

I said I am paying taxes for kids that I don't have in school, whether or not there is a reduced rate because of my age. And try to keep your personal attacks to yourself, unless you are unable to control yourself.
--
Bill

In Hamptonburgh, NY
Well, adult communities also pay a reduced rate just like you do and the only way they can do it by law is NOT TO HAVE CHILDREN LIVING IN THE COMMUNITY. Is that too hard for you to understand? What if NYS eliminated the STAR program. You'd bitch like all hell because you had to pay full school taxes while not having children in school anymore.
Sanity wrote the following:

Adult communities do not pay a reduced rate in school taxes, or do they pay school taxes at all? Residents of the communities pay the taxes, and they get the same advantages, if any, of other state residents wherever they may live, whether in communities, or in remote areas.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Sanity wrote the following:

OK. What about them, and what does it have anything about kids or children in adult communities? Why don't you get some rest and start over tomorrow morning?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

We are not talking about state school taxes. We are talking about Florida Senior Citizen communities which operate under a legal status that has strict requirements in exchange for tax abatements. One of the requirements is that they not have any children. The reason is that children require more services. Florida is one big retirement tax haven.