HOA to evict 6-year old

Page 1 of 8

"[FLORIDA] Kimberly, a 6-year-old in the custody of her grandparents, is facing eviction by local law enforcement because her grandparents live in a retirement community. The child has lived in the house her whole life, as her mother is unable to care for her due to unspecified drug problems. Now authorities plan to remove the girl from the only home she's ever known and place her in foster care with strangers due to a homeowners association policy."
I agree. 'God's Waiting Room' (Florida) is no place for a child!
http://www.inquisitr.com/43825/florida-community-wants-to-evict-6-year-old/
HeyBub wrote:

Florida chose to develop itself via planned communities and HOAs, in order to shift most of the costs of infrastructure development initially onto the developer who builds the community, then assumed by the homeowners who take on the debt not only for the home they buy, but for the development's costs, too. That's the primary purpose of the HOA - to collect funds for the debt payments and to keep their community maintained. Making up additional rules is what they get to do to make their community more appealing for those who believe rules are for everyone else. If the citizens of that state keep bitching about their big bad HOAs, they should vote to implement an income tax on themselves, so the state will be able to fund infrastructure, instead of forcing developers and homeowners to assume the debt via homeowner's associations.
With regards to this particular case: the couple moved into a seniors-only community and understood that when they purchased their home. The community doesn't have to change because their life did. Since they've had no luck selling it, they should see if the HOA rules permit homes to be rented. If they can, just rent it out and move into an apartment with the kid.

It sounds like they DID understand that when they bought the home, and the child ended up with them afterward. But none of that matters. I would've liked to know the real reason the association wants them out. It's more than just rules. Has the child caused problems? Many old people have nothing better to do than complain about nothing at all.
I lived in an apartment complex for a couple of years, and one of the rules stated that cars without license plates would be considered abandoned or evil or some such thing. I sold my car, and on the day the buyer was picking it up, I removed the plates. Within 15 minutes, the police were at my door. I explained the situation. He said the police got 15-20 calls a week from aimless, nosy old people in the complex. He said "Have a good day" and left. I called the rental office. The nice lady said she had nothing to do with the call.
Nosy old people used to sit at the front door of my building in nice weather and inquire about the groceries I was carrying in or the trash I was carrying out. This may be what the couple in Florida is up against, and if so, the judge will hopefully spank the appropriate parties.
Wow, 15 minutes. Wish that TSA worked as efficiently. They should hire some nosy retirees. We could cut down on underwear bombers.
I got a "unregistered vehicle" letter from the trailer park one time, the license plate was laying on the dash board, not screwed to the front. Oh, well.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Seniors move into these communities because most can't take the noise of children running around. Don't condemn them because one day you'll be old and you won't want to be disturbed or annoyed. Regardless of when the child came into the development, HOA rules, especially in Florida do not allow anyone under the age of 21. Adult communities can lose their status if there are underage people living there.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No, the question is: what's YOUR problem? Your persistent defense of rule-breakers suggests you have - or are - one.

You're right. Better to dump the girl into "the system" and see what happens. That usually works. Right?
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/20/State/Foster_care_problems_.shtml
Right.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Too bad her grandparents put their comfort first, isn't it? They made a choice, reinforced over years, to put their granddaughter's future at risk. She pays the penalty for having lousy parents and grandparents.
Knowing several foster parents, there's a good chance she could end up being raised by more responsible adults. You know - the kind who put the child's interests ahead of their own. Unlike granny and gramps in this story.

Put yourself in the exact same position as the grandparents. Now, beginning on the day when their daughter lost custody of the little girl, what would YOU have done differently?

Probably nothing on the day. How about six years later on?
--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

The article says they've been trying to sell the home. Unless I missed something, it didn't say WHEN they began trying. Early in the six years? Later?
Without that information, this discussion is based purely on conjecture. I realize conjecture is the fuel on which newsgroups run, but still, it's best to avoid it whenever possible.

No conjecture about it. They were in a no-child area, took the child, and knew they were in the wrong from then on. The rest may be conjecture, but is also beside the point. No kids=no kids.
--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

No. It's important. When in the six year period did they begin trying to sell the home?

It should have been at most 30 days after the child moved in. Actually, if they knew they were keeping the child they should have started selling immediately (especially 6 years ago the houses were bringing big money). The intentionally violated the rules and I have no pity on them. I'm sorry for the 6 year old that her mother is a junkie but that doesn't excuse the fact the grandparents were 1000 percent wrong.

Beside the point. They had 6 years to sell it or find alternative arrangements for the kid they KNEW was there illegally from the getgo.
--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

There is a time period that kids (or others under 55) are allowed, usually some weeks or months. They may have been trying to come up with a solution or were figuring it was a temporary situation.
Yes, they are breaking the rules, but if it was my granddaughter, I'd be keeping here too.

If there were a little less of breaking the rules going on in the world today, perhaps the grandparents wouldn't be raising the granddaughter in the first place. Just a thought.
Cheri

Cute homily, but it really doesn't address addiction. You will now attempt to disagree. You will fail.

Only in your mind.
Cheri

Are you saying that addiction is purely a matter of "breaking rules"?
Yes or no?
Is that what you are saying?