Helpful Hint - Credut/Debit Card Signature

Page 2 of 2

Only challenged once. I have a card that I use on vacation. It had not been used for months and we were in Virginia. We stopped for breakfast, then got gas, then bought something for my grandson. All within about an hour, a few hundred miles from home. At the last store, the cashier had to call the CC company. They asked me a couple of security questions and I was OK the rest of the trip.

Different card, but once they shut mine off. We were in the process of an interstate move. I guess they were suspicious about my driving two cars. ;-) It took a while to straighten out. I had it happen just recently on a vacation, too. Apparently only one outstanding "hold" can be put on a card and I'd run through the second tank of gas before the first hold was resolved. PITA, I like all gas purchases on one card (5% cash back).
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Hi, How come? Don't you use PIN? If you ever travel to Europe don't expect to buy something with your signature. Even at McDonald, KFC you need PIN. No time to sign.
On Sun 24 Jul 2011 05:20:46p, Tony Hwang told us...

Many restaurants in my area are not set up for the cardholder to enter a pin. The transaction goes through as a credit card. In that case, they invariably look for the signature on the back of the card.

Weird. I've never had that problem.

On Sun 24 Jul 2011 08:16:05p, Larry W told us...

ON a previous card I tried a Sharpie pen as someone previous mentioned. It, too, eventually smeared and faded.

Or packaging tape if you're brave.
Joe