My Signature Freezer Problem

I can't get parts for my Signature Deluxe 15 Freezer because there is no model number on it. A friend of mine came over for something else and took a look at it. He is in the food service business. He smiled and said it's better than even money I have a "hot" freezer. It seems, before container shipments, appliances were stolen from shipping docks in the Port of Baltimore and were sold. The identification plates and the warrany information were discarded to prevent the buyer from getting service from the manufacturer.

I called the person from whom I got it for free. She said she bought used at an estate auction about 10 years ago. So now I know 'why no model number'.

I'm having a repair guy come over here to fix it as I am disabled and my wife needs specific instructions to get anything out of the ordinary.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Why would they care if you got free service?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Or for some reason the manufacturer authorized the dealer (I believe Montgomery Wards in this case) to destroy the freezer due to an unfixable problem under warranty. The plate would have been removed and sent back to the mfg as prove this was done and to prevent further claims on it under warranty. However, sometimes the appliance would fall into the hands of someone who would fix it instead of sending it to the dump...or may even have retreived it from the salvage yard after the dealer had trashed it. In AZ., working for Sears, we had a contracted delivery service that was supposed to pick up these appliances and return them for destruction but the drivers would sell them "off the back of the truck" to a small repair shop. The tags would be removed so they couldn't be traced back to the drivers. And Sears really never caught on...just wrote off the missing inventory at the end of the year. And working for an independant dealer at one time, I won a new stove in a sales contest. The tag was removed so that I got the stove but no warranty.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G