Help w/ rebuilding B&S engine

I have replaced the rings in a 15.5 hp B&S engine - model 28N707. When I disassembled the engine, I failed to notice which pusher rod was the exhaust and which was the intake. One rod has a red band painted on it and is slightly longer than the other. It also has "rounder" ends than the other one.
Can someone tell me which is which?
In addition, are the tappets identical or is one for intake and one for exhaust? If they are different, how do I tell the difference?
TIA
Chuck

Ken.
They certainly are different -- the exhaust handles much higher temperatures. I'm not sure which one is which. The small engines I used to service, the intake valve is wider.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I beieve he's asking about pushrods, not valves.
Garrett Fulton
The Briggs and Stratton web site has illustrated parts list for most all models of their engines. Might be worth seeing if they have yours.
Dan
That's the same engine that blew up on my tractor (see "7 y.o. B&S engine threw a rod!") I'll be interested to know how the rebuild works out.
-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

I guess that's why it was so easy for me to find a 2nd hand carb for my 287707 on eBay, then. Hope it lasts a few more years... --Glenn Lyford
Chuck Jurgens wrote:

I have a seven year old 14.5HP B&S that makes a knocking sound at startup, shutdown and everytime the rpm's change. I guess it is getting ready to explode. The B&S website is pretty nice in providing PDF files of the exploded parts lists. Now I just need to get brave enough to tear into this engine.
I don't like the dipsticks on the recent engines. I think it makes it more difficult to fill an accurate oil level. This may have contributed to my trouble.

they are loose and the knocking sound is the engine trying to rotate around the crank as it's running. Ken.