Help pls: adding 2nd floor to Cape Cod-style house

A less web-enabled friend is renovating a 1930s Cape in NY state, adding second floor. Wants to move staircase for better use of floor area; likes some of the ideas in Jane Gitlan's book. He would appreciate direction to other sources, plans (is willing to pay).
TIA-
Theo
Theo wrote:

with, he is gonna have to hire an architect anyway, so may as well hire them now for professional site survey and advice. I do hope he at least had an engineer or experienced carpenter check out the structure to see if it will hold a second floor. (I am assuming shed dormer on back, basically folding half the roof up and tucking walls under it?)Even if an AIA stamp is not required, an experienced designer can save many times what they charge, in avoided mistakes and lessons learned from other projects.
As to dream-book sources- any full line bookstore/newsstand, and most libraries. Library usually also has web access- if your friend goes when school is in session, he may be able to get several hours online without getting kicked off.
aem sends...