Heat Tapes

Hello Everyone,
I have lived in apartments all my life, so I am new to this. I recently inherited a mobile home from my father. In the winter it uses Heat Tapes on the CPVC plumbing to keep the pipes from freezing. My question is, How often should you change out the tapes ? How many years is a typical Heat Tape expected to be good for ? I really do not want to wait too many years and wake up one morning to find out I waited one year too many.
Any input, or opinions will be Greatly Appreciated.
Thank You,
Wayne R. Russ