Hayward 244T Installation Question - Please Advise

I had a company install one of these a few months back for my in-ground pool. They obviously didn't seal the top valve correctly because I can hear it releasing pressure when the pump is running. Where they supposed to use PVC for the pipes leading up to this unit? I just find it funny as it is hard to remove the valve from the top in order to replace the gasket. I found diagrams of the above ground Hayward filter with the top valve and these had flexable piping leading to the top , I'm assuming so that it's easier to remove valve. Please advise. Thanks, Rick

my
correctly
running.
this unit?

from the top in

above ground

piping
remove valve.

A Perflex model? Not real sure what you really mean, but yes, normally they'll run the PVC right up to the unit. That's not to say it's an absolute though. Flexible piping, for whatever reason it migh have been shown, isn 't preferred because of the resistance it provides to water flow, but it can be handy in short sections. Are you experiencing leaks, loss of prime, what? The "top" of the Hayward is the "exit" port; water comes out there and flows to the pool inlets. What you -might- be hearing is either air still trapped inside the tank, or the air-relief vent letting air out. But without better info it's too hard to be very sure of anything.
Pop