Please advise for Hot Tub

Subject: Please advise for Hot Tub

I bought a 1992 Hot Tub and restored it to use, rebuilding the cabinet, installing shut-off valves for maintenance without draining the tub, and replaced a broken heating element. It has a 2 speed motor that runs on 110volts and a heater that runs on 220volts. The pump runs on low speed any time the thermostat calls for heat or high speed if user selected at a switch on the upper console.

Initially the jets provided pressure sufficient for my wife, but eventually the motor quit working. I swapped it out with a new motor of the same specs. I took the old motor apart and found the complex contacts that determine the motor speed had corroded.

Unfortunately, while the new motor is similar, I can't get the same Jet pressure anymore. Close but not good enough for my wife. What are my options?

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy

If the new motor is of the same specs, (rpm and horsepower) then the jet pressure will be the same. These two speed motors are readily available from spa parts shops.

I took the old motor apart and found the complex

Reply to
trader4

If the new motor is of the same specs, it may be turning the wrong direction. Check the rotation on the old and new. Centrifugal pumps will pump when turning backwards, just not near as good.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Interesting observation. That's one very important spec to get right!

Reply to
trader4

Thanks, Contrary to popular belief in the RV group, I do posses some knowledge.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Impellers on pool pumps usually spin on so I would expect it to spin off if the motor was running backward. I am not even sure why a threaded shaft motor would be reversible.

Reply to
gfretwell