Air bleed on a Hayward PowerFlo LX series pump

Hey guys,

I was just reading my pool maintenence book's instructions re: priming the pump... they mention that after you've got the pump going, you should open the air-bleed valve and purge any remaining air in the system so that there are no bubbles coming out of the return line.

This is all well and good, but I can't for the life of me find an air-bleed valve on the strainer basket of my Hayward pump.... what's the deal? Is the air bleed valve an optional thing? The book makes it sound important as it says if air builds up in the system, when the pump turns off, a big back rush of water comes bursting through the skimmer intake. I see this all the time after the pump runs for a long time and it turns off....

So what to do? Am I blind or does this pump really not have a bleeder valve? and if so, what can I do about air in the system (the rush of water coming back out of the skimmer is a pain as it pushes all the debris back into the pool)...

Thanks guys,

G. Filicetti

On all the pool filters I have had or been acquainted with the air bleed valve is located on top of the filter......... not on the pump.

Reply to
Lou W

I have a Hayward pump and filter and have no air bleed valve also. But speaking from experience, if you are getting that big burp of trapped air, you have a air leak in your plumbing somewhere. Mine was in the 0 ring on the see thru basket lid. I cleaned it and gave it a light coating of silicone grease and no more explosion of bugs and oak tree flowers (yech).

Reply to
jmagerl

My Triton filter has a screw knob on the top (part of a tee for the pressurs gauge. You open it with the pump running and air will hiss out. Keep opening it till its really hissing and when water shoots out it is bled. Open it with the pump off and you'll hear gurgle gurgle as water flows back out the skimmer.

-- Mark Kent, WA

Reply to
Mark or Sue

Are your instructions specifically for the Hayward, or are they general enough to cover a broad range of products? I have a Hayward pump and filter. The only thing I can think of is the water drain at the bottom of the unit near the ground where you drain your filter at the end of the season. It also needs to be opened after adding the startup water until it drains out easily. So far the only time I had a problem with air in the return was when a hose clamp wasn't on tight enough, or worn O-rings, but it could also be a leak in the lines somewhere. You must lube the O-rings well at opening for them to seal properly, and remove all sand from the large O-ring and its seat in the filter before doing so. You should probably check these first.

Reply to
Lynne

Yes my instructions are specifically for my two units (although they do cover 2 or 3 similiar models)..... so if you have a Hayward pump and filter, do you have an air bleed valve? Maybe it's just not something that Hayward has on my model... Maybe I'll take a dig. photo to the pool shop.

Hmm... No, I didn't do that actually as it never mentioned uncapping the drain cap, easy enough to try.

Thanks a lot for the help, I'll pick up some of the teflon lube at the pool shop and lube the two O rings... I know the filter's O ring wasn't sandy, but I definitely did not lube it... I really didn't realize that air in the system was a bad thing until I specifically read it (dunno how I missed it my first year)....

Thanks again,

Thanks for the help...

Reply to
G. Filicetti