Have you had to replace your fuel pump?

Page 2 of 6
On 10/12/2012 11:43 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote: ...

That's certainly not the case on GM vehicles--accurate individual readings are the norm and as noted above I've yet to have any of them be a maintenance item after probably 10 years since first vehicle so equipped...
On 10/12/2012 9:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know where but the shop labor rates between the independents and the dealers around here aren't all that much different...

The other thing they have is all the specialty tools and service bulletins and any service/warranty work is handled.
While the ordinary is doable most any place, I tried using a couple of the independent shops around and decided it wasn't saving any of any magnitude comparatively. Now, the guy who works weekends under the shade tree might be a little cheaper...

I've found that, too, but the independent will almost always come in at half the final cost, or less. I've found they're much more willing to eat the problem if they didn't fix it the first time, too. The last dealer I went to did have the decency to tell me to go to an independent for one job. They also replaced a gas tank on a car, using a junk tank (that I bought). A new tank was $1,500, which they thought was highway robbery. They couldn't buy junk parts but they could put in a part I brought in. I'm not down on dealers, at all.

I've found the opposite. I go to the dealer for some stuff but less and less, once I get to know the independent. I gave up on the dealer completely in the city we just moved from. The independent turned out to be really good and far more convenient (across the street from my wife's PPoE).
On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 23:17:19 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Never ha d a problem. Won't have a car without it. Very nice feature on a cold morning. I put the seat heater on when I park the car at night so it is comfy in five minutes or so.
On 10/13/2012 7:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly. The other goodness is that if the car is outside and the windshield is covered with a layer of ice it will be either gone or almost gone by the time you get in the car. Sure beats fussing with an ice scraper for 10 minutes. One car we have even has a programmable start on low temp feature.
And the bad idea because the battery gets weaker on an older car makes no logical sense. The remote starter does the same thing as if you were in the car and started it. If the battery isn't sufficient to use with a remote starter it won't be magically better if you are sitting in the car and engage the starter.

I certainly have. Never again. Moving to the South was a *much* better solution.

They are illegal (to use) in some places, for just this reason.
On Oct 14, 9:48am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

There are laws making it illegal to use remote starters because of a weak battery? Do tell.
There are laws making it illegal to leave a running car unattended but they have zilch to do with remote starters.
Harry K

Idiot. People start their cars and leave them to thaw.

You really _are_ an idiot.

Here in Maine the Liberals really are that stupid..It is illegal to let a car idle in the parking lot..Not that I have seen or heard of cops getting anyone for it and they do it...Just one of those "feel good laws" Liberals love...LOL...

Slim chance since remote starters only remain idling typically maximum, 8 minutes.
Greg
On 10/15/2012 10:53 PM, gregz wrote:

the key is not inserted you can't turn the steering wheel or move the shifter and if you touch the brake pedal it kills the engine.

Irrelevant. It has nothing to do with theft.

They do (ticket cars) in Vermont for idling. It seems you're next.
On 10/16/2012 8:23 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

A lot of cars run the electric engine cooling fan when the engine isn't running and the ignition is off. I'm sure some moron will think the engine is actually running and ticket the vehicle. ^_^
TDD

I always found it slightly insuring when walking to your car in shady garages and parking lots. The sound of the engine starting might prevent something bad happening.
Greg
On Oct 15, 10:16am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Why? Because I point out the reality? There ARE laws, Spokane Wa publishes them every fall. It is designed to cut down on car thefts. That you apparently can't wrap your feeble mind around logic is not my fault.
Harry K

Harry, you wouldn't know what reality is if you fell on your face and hit it, which I expect your do regularly.

Wrong. They are "green" laws.

More stupidity for "Harry". Are you really the same Harry as "harry"? You sure are giving him competition.
On Oct 16, 6:26am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

By you petulant little boy. Eagerly awaiting you next stupid post which you seem remarkably accomplished at doing.
Harry K

How would you steal a car running in auto start mode. Unless the key is inserted, everything shuts down, and alarm goes off.
Greg

NOt all cars have that system...in fact numerically speaking very few cars do. The laws I refer to were written long before the days of such nice options. I'll have to see if the Spokane news stations still publicise it.
Harry K