Harleysville insurance

Anyone using them? My agent called today and wants to replace my (up for renewal) policies with policies from this company. It would save me a bundle on both homeowners and auto. I could not find anything bad about them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have friends who live in Harleysville. Does that count?

But seriously I wonder if something happened that allowed PA insurance companies to become more competitive? My buddy and I were at a event a month ago. A local agent had a table set up. I almost never bother asking for insurance quotes anymore because there never seems to be a difference. They represented Erie insurance. I got the guys email address and scanned the policies, blanked the cost and sent it to him. Two days later he did an outside inspection of the house and sent me quotes that were significantly lower than what I am paying. Same for my buddy. I changed to them 2 weeks ago. I also told my brother about it and he also got a significant reduction.

I haven't heard anything bad about Harleysville and have known people who bought insurance from them.

Reply to
George

Insurance is a rip off and an pyramid scheme. Pay in until you need it, then they dump you.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

Close enough.

My homeowners will go from the present $800+ to the proposed $1103, but Harleysville is coming in at $512. I've heard stories about some companies inspecting and demanding silly changes so while I'm reluctant to rock the boat, the savings for home and auto will be $1300 a year. MY house is in good condition, no code violations, etc so it is not a big deal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

More importantly, what could you find out good about them? Most critically, level of financial backing, etc. Doesn't matter what the premium is if they're not still around or don't have assets when need them. Most important in areas prone to large-scale events where Gulf Coast seemed to demonstrate that rates were based as if risks were independent for each property where in fact, there's a very high and widespread common-cause problem in that locale that negates the assumption. Thus, many smaller went belly-up and even the big boys were sorely stressed. Length of existence is another useful statistic.

--

Reply to
dpb

A friend, insurance broker, sold me Harleyville Homeowners insurance about 26 years ago. I switched for no good reason, nothing to do with them, after a couple years, and I had no claims while I was insured by them. So I can't judge. Except they've been around for at least 26 years.

It was a replacement value policy. I wonder what they or any company would have done if the house had burned down taking my 15 old tv's with it. Would they really have paid replacement cost for 15 tv's? Assume I had pictures of them.

Reply to
mm

My recent change to Erie represents a 31% reduction of auto and homeowner premiums combined.

Reply to
George

I recently changed to Erie and was asking around before I did. Turns out a good friend who had their house trashed (items destroyed and/or stolen) last year during an apparent drug crazed burglary had Erie insurance. He said he had photos and an itemized list of everything and they didn't even blink when issuing the check.

Reply to
George

What kinds of old tv's do you have, I'm looking for a horizontal output transformer for a 1955 Admiral set. Please contact me directly.

Reply to
hrhofmann