hardwood floor underlay?

Is there an alternative that I can use as an underlay for my hardwood flooring? I'm installing a small section, 4x8', and I don't want to buy a whole roll of felt paper to put under. Can I use something else as an underlay, say two or three layers of newsprint?

Felt paper cost about $15 a roll.
--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com