Harbor Freight vs. Home depot

Page 2 of 4

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:23:26 -0500, Steve Barker

Boo- Hoo!
http://www.bdk.com /
Dewalt is wholly owned by Black & Decker.
Look at the tab for "Our Companies"
Oh, BTW - Black & Decker's world headquarters is in Maryland. Maybe that's how you got confused about where your Dewalt tools came from.
Steve Barker wrote:

Black and Decker bought Dewalt in 1992.
Coincidentally, I threw a B&D drill in the trash today. It had an infuriating short in the trigger switch. I took it apart to try to fix it.
It turned out the likely cause was cold (defective) solders of the wires going into the switch. They fell out their holes (it was much like a back stab 120v receptacle) as I took the case off, and I wasn't able to be sure which wires went to which connections.
I replaced that piece of crap with a Skil. Even though the Skil was made in China, it has a heft that reminds me of my Milwaukee Sawzall.
--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

Sheesh, you have an Internet connection and yet you can't be bothered doing 30 seconds' worth of research?
First, Black & Decker's world headquarters is on Joppa Road near Goucher Blvd. in Towson, MD, about 1-1/2 miles outside BALTIMORE. I know from personal experience because I used to live in near there and drove past the place just yesterday on my way from my old house (where my brother-in-law now lives) to Trader Joe's over there near Towsontowne Centre.
You want more proof? Go to http://www.bdk.com (Black & Decker's corporate website and click on the link "Our Companies" and you'll see the list: Black & Decker, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Delta Machinery, Kwikset, Price Pfister...
The more you know...

Don't even think about trying to drive long screws with a cordless drill. You need an impact driver. I'm on my third year with a Makita and typically drive up to 4" construction screws. Hardly anyone uses Philips screws anymore. Robertson square drive are OK, but for day in day out drive 'em flush and fast, absolutely nothing beats Torx or 'star' drive. Buy a few and try them out (Menards features them) and you'll never go back. Any Li-ion type from 12 to 18 volts should work for you in a DIY setting.
Joe

Don't even think about trying to drive long screws with a cordless drill. You need an impact driver. I'm on my third year with a Makita and typically drive up to 4" construction screws. Hardly anyone uses Philips screws anymore. Robertson square drive are OK, but for day in day out drive 'em flush and fast, absolutely nothing beats Torx or 'star' drive. Buy a few and try them out (Menards features them) and you'll never go back. Any Li-ion type from 12 to 18 volts should work for you in a DIY setting.
Joe
Say what? Get one of the sleeve extensions, a good bit, and put your shoulder into it.
Steve

*That's the difference with an impact driver Steve. You don't have to "Put your shoulder into it". The driver does all of the work and is much lighter than an 18 volt drill. I was using my drill for screwing until one of my customers let me use his impact driver. I went out and bought my own the following week and have no regrets.

I must admit that just because you have one, and I don't, and I've never used one, it makes it VERY suspect to me. ;-) I have seen small Makitas used at the conventions a lot, and they all seemed to like them. IIRC, they had a little slide fitting to quick connect various tools. No one who used them would lend them, and they swore by them. I came close to buying one several times, and may still if I see one at a decent price in this down economy. I've been scoring some nice tools lately, including a BIG honking Rockwell table saw for $50. A Porter Cable pancake compressor and three guns (one 2.5" nail, one up to 1" brad and one up to 1 1/4" staple) all NEW for $135. A DeWalt hand grinder with 5/8" arbor and paddle switch for $20. A 12 and 20 ton jack today for $7 for both. I could go on.
I admit that I would like to try one of the impact drivers. But I think that you have to admit that a good hefty tool, be it DeWalt, Makita, or even Ryobi with the right bit and setup will do most anything the average DIYer calls on it to do. There are LOTS and LOTS of people out there who don't even understand how to pick out bits, sizes, types, etc. There are a lot of people who don't select or even ask about the proper fastener for the job, but just buy whatever drywall screw is on sale. So, a lot of this discussion is over their heads.
What model number is yours, and what voltage? A lot of the Makitas I saw were 12 or 14.4, but that has been about three years ago now.
Steve, who is changing his mind, just like Fearless Leader does twenty times a day.

One day I was watching a custom cabinet installer and a two guys installing large garage doors. All using impact drivers. 'Course I had to ask them about them, how they worked and if I could hold it ;) I want one!
I bought a 18V Bosch Brute hammer drill years ago as part of the kit. That drill had a better torque than others at the time. It's heavy...never walk by my ladder when I drop it...

Never ever ask a man if you can hold his drill or hammer! Unless you're a woman, or......

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&productId0049838&langId=-1&catalogId053&ci_src110944&ci_sku0049838&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-100049838
Why wo't they ship this to Alaska or Hawaii?
Do they explode?

*I have a Bosch 10.8 volt. It is small and lightweight, but is quite powerful. Unfortunately before this tool came out I had purchased the Bosch cordless screwdriver (I Driver I think) and was quite pleased with the power that it had. Since I purchased the impact driver I have put the cordless screwdriver in the closet. I use the impact driver instead. It just makes screwing effortless.

I may get one to keep next to the bed then.
wrote in message

Hey, I've seen "toys" that have been adapted to fit in a reciprocating saw. Settting the evening: candles, wine, music, reciprocating saw, ...
Red Green wrote:

It's like beaver teeth; got to keep it trimmed down or it'll kill ya.
wrote in message

*That's where I keep my hammer-drill :-)
One of these days, I'll have to get an impact driver, and see about this effortless screwing you mention.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm not going to comment, I just..... can't. ROTFLMAO
TDD
Must be a misquote. I'm into 3 inch long power screwing like the guy with the wooden member, I mean, beam.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was in junior high once, Bevis. *snicker*
TDD

Lemme know quick. I got "company" coming in a couple of weeks:-)