Harbor Freight vs. Home depot

That problem is almost non-existent. I have noticed that it occurs sometimes with philips screws when I aim the driver at a slight angle to the screw.

Reply to
John Grabowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:xq2dnTvMj79sZCDXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Hey, I've seen "toys" that have been adapted to fit in a reciprocating saw. Settting the evening: candles, wine, music, reciprocating saw, ...

Reply to
Red Green

It's like beaver teeth; got to keep it trimmed down or it'll kill ya.

Reply to
HeyBub

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:

Wiki has some good illustrations of the difference.

When I bought a big box of the Phillip Green no-snap screws it had a special bit in it touted as not slipping. It didn't slip. Don't believe it was Pozidriv

Reply to
Red Green

*That's where I keep my hammer-drill :-)
Reply to
John Grabowski

You definitely have better luck at pawn shows than do I.

I have NEVER seen a bargain there.

Reply to
John Gilmer

The electric tools (battery and plug in) are OK but clearly not in the same class as the top of the line stuff from HD. Of course selling for about

1/3rd the price does provide some compensation.

When HF shines (IMO) is with pneumatic tools.

The HF might not be quite the same qualify as the best HD tools but a HF store has a heck of a lot more variety than any HD.

Moreover HF seems to have a variety of fasteners available for each of the pnematic tools it sells.

If the already has an air compressor (he can pick something up cheap at HF) he may well find a pneumatic tool that's as useful as the corresponding electric tool.

Reply to
John Gilmer

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:56:10 -0400, against all advice, something compelled "desgnr" , to say:

So . . . just that one time? HF should be fine.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

I have a Makita angle grinder..its about 15 years old and has given great service over the years under tough conditions. You can buy them new for about $ 50-60 I was visiting the inlaws in FL after the hurricanes about 8 yrs ago, Needed to do some aluminum repair so we bought a similar angle grinder from HFT..on sale for under $ 20. It got so HOT while running that after about 5 minutes that it couldnt be held in the ungloved hand and made twice the noise of the Makita. I wouldn't have expected it to last more than a year or so, if that.

If I needed a certain power tool to do one job (then probably never or rarely use it again) I'd get one from HFT. If I planned to use it regularly over the years, I'd get a "name brand". My 10 year old DeWalt 12V VSR drill will drive 3" screws..problem is, I'm on my THIRD set of rechargeable batteries for it...Drill won't DIE..the batteries do.

I see Hitachi 18V impact drivers on sale here and there. They're great for driving screws but the "drill" model is more versatile IMO. If I had some time to "look around", I'd consider SEARS Craftsman 18V VSR drill..IF.. I could find it on sale. They re often on sale for "40% off ! ..maybe $ 69- 79.00. I had a couple over the years that worked quite well. Make sure you get the TWO speed 0-450/ 0 - 1400 or 1800 RPM (The single speed are hopelessly slow) with the bigger One hour charger (not the cheapie little charger they sell with some)

Reply to
Rudy

On Sep 25, 10:38=A0am, "SteveB" wrote: [snip]

I second and third this recommendation. I was in two local pawn shops recently, looking at what they had in notebook computers, and was surprised at the number of Porter Cable tools I saw available at prices you can't imagine. Even if they are used, it makes getting some P-C tools on my workbench actually feasible!

Reply to
Kyle

Sheesh, you have an Internet connection and yet you can't be bothered doing 30 seconds' worth of research?

First, Black & Decker's world headquarters is on Joppa Road near Goucher Blvd. in Towson, MD, about 1-1/2 miles outside BALTIMORE. I know from personal experience because I used to live in near there and drove past the place just yesterday on my way from my old house (where my brother-in-law now lives) to Trader Joe's over there near Towsontowne Centre.

You want more proof? Go to

(Black & Decker's corporate website and click on the link "Our Companies" and you'll see the list: Black & Decker, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Delta Machinery, Kwikset, Price Pfister...

The more you know...

Reply to
Kyle

I'm not going to comment, I just..... can't. ROTFLMAO

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yes, but is the wife satisfied with the results?

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I have a 16 year old B&D 12 volt cordless and I didn't have to replace the batteries until last fall. I repaired a broken solder joint in the charger that was caused by years of the kit being bounced around in a service vehicle, but that's the only other problem I've had with the B&D drill. The old drill and case are identical to the newer Dewalt drill and case, even the Dewalt 12 volt batteries fit it. I believe B&D slapped a Dewalt label on the higher quality drills and branded the cheap stuff B&D after the Dewalt company was bought out.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'll bet it does. I'm a recent convert to the impact driver. I'll definitely keep one on hand to drive long screws. [mine is a 10.8v Bosch]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Must be a misquote. I'm into 3 inch long power screwing like the guy with the wooden member, I mean, beam.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was in junior high once, Bevis. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:h9l2vv $j36$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Lemme know quick. I got "company" coming in a couple of weeks:-)

Reply to
Red Green

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:h9osc3$bq6$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Yea I have some pretty old B&D stuff including a 7.25 circular saw that was bought in 1983, seen a lot of use and not even new brushes. Bearings are noisy as hell and it sounds like it's gonna die next use. That next use has been going on for 3 yrs.

Couple of weeks ago I was in Ollie's Outlet (place like Big Lots) and they had a bunch of Skill saws to my amazement. Probably disco models.

39.95 for a 13a, 2.5hp, carbide blade, case, good feel, nice indicators and adjusters. Kinda hard to pass up at that price with only a Night of the Living Dead B&D on hand.

And Staples today had a 16gb thumb drive for 29 bucks. Had to pop for that cause my external drive has been kaput for some time and living dangerously. Backed up all my data files on a thumb drive now that's half the size of my old 256mb one. Still have half the drive empty.

Reply to
Red Green

-snip-

-snip-

Don't hold your breath. My B&D 7.25 was a gift from my father-in-law in 1970. Those bearings have squealing since 1990 or so. I don't use it much any more-- but a couple months ago I threw a diamond blade in it and cut 20' of basement floor. It likes the real dramatic jobs with lots of dust & noise.

When it dies [if I don't go first] I'm going to give one of these a go-

$150 for a worm-drive saw that cuts steel as well as wood & plastic.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht