Harbor Freight vs. Home depot

Page 1 of 4

How does Harbor Freight tools rate compared to Home depot tools ? I am currently looking for a coordless drill driver capable of driving a 3" screw into a 2" x 4" stud. Any recomendations appreciated.
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

One screw, or,thousands?

For that kind of driving I suggest an impact driver. I have a Bosch and love it. I tend to stay with name brand tools because I need reliability and I want to be able to get parts and service when needed.
My 12 volt cordless Drill Master from HF should do 3 inch screws. The charging system is not regulated, I have to allow it no more than 3 hours on the charger. That said, it's several years old, and keeps on running. My sense, with the cordless from HF, they are all reasonable, but not great.
The last ones I got from HD were some years ago, can't remember the voltage. But at $20 per drill, it was cheaper than the $28 battery replacement pack for my Skil drills. HD has Ryobi, Dewalt, and some pretty nice cordless. So, if you're looking for one to use on the job, I'd go there.
My work horse cordless drill for the job is Makita 14.4 volt. I've worn out a battery or two. Found a battery at a clearance sale, and bought it. Someday I'll send the worn out batteries to Primecell.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Harbor Freight has this drill motor:- http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93440
It's in their current sales catalog for $14.99 till Oct. 12th.
Hope this helps you.
Lewis.
*****
That's the detail I'd forgotten -- that HF has half price sales, frequently. Mine was also about $15 at HF.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My red 12 volt drill master has been in use for several years. I didn't date the drill (sharpie pen) but at least three or four years. I'm pleased to pieces. I use it for insert and remove screws at work.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They are not great, but they do work. the problem is with the batteries and the charging system. Like Christopher mentioned, no regulation on the charging system so leaving the battery on the charger too long kills the batteries, which are cheap ones to begin with.
If you are only looking for a tool for one shot the HF drill might be OK, if you are a DIY guy and this is only one project in a long line of things to do, then I would recommend going to the big orange box, buying a good Lithium ion drill with a lifetime guarantee and long after the sting of the price wears off you will still have a good tool and the piece of mind that it will work when needed.
--
Roger Shoaf
on 9/25/2009 9:38 AM (ET) ru4linux2 wrote the following:

Give us the catalog # and the drill # so we can shop online using the catalog price.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It depends on use and budget. You can get some drills at HF, but by and large, they will not have near the lifespan of the brand names you get at the Borgs. If you want to buy one and be done with it, spring for the good ones. If you are going to be driving three inch screws, you want an 18v. A lesser drill will do it, but on the days when you have lots of screws to do, you will notice the difference. Lots of HF tools are a value for tools you don't use a lot or tools that don't have to stand up. Cordless drills aren't one of them.
Check at pawn shops. Things are very reasonably priced there now.
Steve

You definitely have better luck at pawn shows than do I.
I have NEVER seen a bargain there.
[snip]

I second and third this recommendation. I was in two local pawn shops recently, looking at what they had in notebook computers, and was surprised at the number of Porter Cable tools I saw available at prices you can't imagine. Even if they are used, it makes getting some P-C tools on my workbench actually feasible!
desgnr wrote:

Just a suggestion: If you're doing something like a fence or a deck, where lots of screws will be involved, consider a 3/8" corded drill.
The extra power and absence of a need for a re-charge may very well outweigh the inconvenience of an extension cord.
I put up a fence using a Makita. After about 30 pickets, I could tell the battery was complaining. I dug out an ancient Craftsman corded drill and a 100' foot extension cord and put up the remaining 150 or so pickets without a hiccup.
Since the OP mentioned 3 inch screws, lets remind him that two drills and drilling pilot hole is a good idea. The long screws bind a bit after a bit of insertion.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Never had a Harbor Freight tool, but the Ryobi or Ridgid brands from HD are acceptable for light home use.
When you buy the screw, get square head ones for the best results. If you want screws that are not going to snap easily, buy from www.mcfeelys.com
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And Ryobi, Ridgid and Milwaukee (as well as Husky hand tools) are products of the same company -- whose name escapes me at present.
Ridgid has a better warranty (don't know about Milwaukee), but of course the batteries are *not* interchangeable.
Perce
desgnr wrote:

just go to HD and get you a dewalt. Don't worry about that ferrin shit from Harbor freight. Get something that will last a lifetime.

All my DeWalt tools are made in Japan. Did you know that DeWalt is really Japanese Black & Decker?
Joe
Joe wrote:

_MY_ dewalts were made in Baltimore , MD and i really don't GAFF if it works. And dewalt works. And no i don't believe your crap about it being related to B&D.