Harbor Freight coming to a location near me

Page 2 of 2
On Monday, December 17, 2012 9:08:51 AM UTC-5, Benedict Arnold wrote:

Yup, and there ain't a damn thing we can do about it. Ever tried to herd cats? American consumers are looking for ONE thing: Cheapest price.
Even if the Made in USA product is only $1 more, they will buy the China product because it is cheaper. Gotta save money. Bad economy, you know...
What we're doing over there is turning the Chinese people into a bunch of fat, lazy, greedy capitalists just like us. They're getting a little walkin' around money, and they're going to want more. They're gonna get wind that they're being paid jack for slave labor, and they're going to want more.
We've already seen indications in the iPhone factory riot. We're already seeing manufacturing moving back here due to incessant quality issues.
Right-wing wacko nutjobs think the only way to stop Communism is to march in there with guns blazing. We beat the USSR by simply out-spending them. We will beat China by buying them with their own money.
On 12/17/2012 11:53 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

lazy, greedy capitalists just like us. They're getting a little walkin' around money, and they're going to want more. They're gonna get wind that they're being paid jack for slave labor, and they're going to want more.

there with guns blazing. We beat the USSR by simply out-spending them. We will beat China by buying them with their own money.

After the Apocalypses on Saturday it won't matter anyway.
On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 09:08:51 -0500, Benedict Arnold

You are sort of right about the consumer. Unfortunately, there are few options at times. Have you tried to buy a toaster not made in China? You can't. I'm not sure if even the $250 Dualit is still made in England. I spent nearly $300 for a coffee maker made in Norway, everything else is China.
Benedict Arnold wrote:

1. And China has a trade deficit with India and India has a trade deficit with the U.S. It averages out.
2. Now you tell me, which of these products would you rather have:
A. 33-Piece Security Bit Set, $5.99, from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piece-security-bit-set-93388.html
or
B. 33-Piece Security Bit Set, $9.79, from Parts Express http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber60-206
or, maybe
C. Titan/33 Piece Security Bit Set, $7.99, from Autozone http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Titan-33-pcs-security-bit-set/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier &2606
Smitty Two wrote:

So, you might have one GOOD hammer and are confronted with cutting a board. What do you do?
Every tool, EVERY SINGLE TOOL, I've bought from HF has been acceptable and did an acceptable, if not perfect, job.
I recall the old saying: "It's a poor workman that blames the tool."

I go out and buy a good saw. Now I have two good tools.
I don't want a shitty tool any more than I want a shitty firearm or a shitty bottle of liquor. It isn't worth the annoyance.
Like my friend lying under his dismantled car engine when his shitty socket broke said, "This shitty tool came with a lifetime warranty, but I don't want a lifetime warranty right now, I want a socket that isn't broken in half."
On 12-15-2012 11:39, Smitty Two wrote:

When the vacuum cleaner sales man pointed out that theirs has a fifteen year warranty, I retorted that if I buy fifteen "normal" vacuums with one-year warranties, I'd be saving money.
--
Wes Groleau

“To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation
Per SMS:

Or the lifetime of the company that sold it.... -)
I had (still have, in fact) a set of Craftsman taps and dies - maybe a hundred little pieces.
FWIW, an essential part of such a set is the box that they come in that organizes them.
With mine, the plastic in the box somehow degraded over time and the whole thing just sort of disintegrated.
Took it back to Sears and "Sorry, we only guarantee tools, not the containers...".
Oh well...
--
Pete Cresswell

Snap-on has lifetime warranty and their tools are first quality. Craftsman lifetime tools are decent tools, but not in the same league. -- Doug
Smitty Two wrote:

Lots of people seem to think of Harbor Freight in the same manner as they think of lauan and poplar; i.e., unuseable junk. I'm not one of those people, like all three. I really miss the ability to go buy nice lauan boards for whatever.
Regarding HF tools, I occasionally have the need to drill holes in concrete. When I have that urge I use my $31 HF hammer drill. I could have bought a "good" one for $100 - $150 but why?
Every decade or so I have had a need to step down an area of concrete. When I do I use a HF angle grinder with a diamond blade to make close together scores so I can break them out. The whole works cost me $15. I do have a better angle grinder but I particularly like the HF one because it has an accessory foot - like a circular saw - so that the depths of all cuts is the same. It can get pretty hot but if I burn it out I can replace it cheaply if I need to.
I have a HF lathe. Works fine. So do the HF chisels. In fact, they work just like some better ones I have.
I have some nice German bar clamps. I hate them. I also have a bunch of HF bar clamps. I like them fine.
Et cetera.
Ojala que viva Harbor Freight.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
SMS wrote:

I'm not talking about ratchet clamps, I am talking about steel bar clamps like this. They have none of your problems.
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-bar-clamp-96211.html
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Sure does look an awful like the ones Home Depot sells for fifteen bucks under "Jorgensen Bar Clamp".
--
Pete Cresswell

I agree. Some of what they have is real junk. But they have a lot of the kind of tools that a typical homeowner might need once in 5 or 10 years at cheap prices. Some recent examples are pipe strap wrenches and a tailpipe expander. They also have things like cable ties, heat shrink tubing, at a fraction of the cost that you would pay at HD. I bought a complete portable sandblaster for like $80. I used it on my stamped concrete patio and it did the job. I could not even find anyone else selling one locally.
Now, if I wanted say an air compressor that I was going to use frequently, like a contractor, would I buy that at HF? Hell no. You just have to be a smart shopper, selective and use some common sense.
On 12/15/2012 8:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yup.

My sentiments exactly. If I expect a tool to be a one-time use, I'll go for the best price and just to check that it wll be adequate for that one use. But if I was buying a hammer that gets used at least monthly, then I'll look at long-term quailty vs cost.
On 12/15/2012 06:29 AM, SMS wrote:

Yeah, those are utter crap. I got one free with a purchase, and it failed before it left the store. It's replacement has fared better, but it's no replacement for a Pony or Bessey.
Jon
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:10:37 -0800, Jon Danniken

Clamps are one place not to scrimp. It's a RPITA when you have glue all over everything and the clamp breaks, sending glue all over everything. Yes, I've had many HF clamps break. No more. They've been replaced by Besseys and Irwins.

I find the HF clamps are more than capable of enough pressure to secure a wood joint without squeezing all the glue out of the joint while it dries. The rubber pads and light weight bars should be your first clue they are not meant to squeeze the crap out of something. That's what cast iron pipe clamps and C-clamps are for. Learn to choose the right tool for the job.
Everyone appreciates a quality tool. If you have unlimited cash to buy the tool that gives you bragging rights then by all means buy the very best, expense be damned.
I find HF tools more than adequate for the jobs I do around my house. The cost difference between the bragging rights brand and the HF brand is enough to make the difference between having the right tool for the job or not and knowing the difference.