Basement wall finishing

Earlier this summer, I removed my radiant/boiler system and installed a furnace/blower system. Prior to the install, one part of prepping procedures consisted of removing my basement drop ceiling for duct installation. The walls are 2x2 studs, insulation and paneling, which were painted when I purchased the house. My plan is to enclose the new furnace and since the drop ceiling is still down, I thought I would seize the opportunity to remove the paneling and install drywall, which will also eliminate the need to repair some of the walls which contained openings and holes where the copper pipe protruded from the radiant heating. It'll also allow me to remove the remaining copper pipes in the walls.

Though I eagerly anticipate the new walls, I hesitate due to the taping, drywall compound, sanding, etc. and thought about basement wall systems which I've seen here and there, but they require the start from bare walls. I prefer to leave the studs and insulation in and simply install another wall panel (drywall). Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a simple wall system which will allow me to remove the panels and install the new walls, but minus the tedious task of compound, sanding, etc. I'm aware a drywall finished basement will be the best aesthetically, but anything is still better than paneling. If I have to drywall and mud, so be it, but I thought I'd try to discover something which may be easier, first.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

You could use H-channels along the sides of the sheet-rock panels, but you would have to start in one end or corner and then do each one separately since the sheet-rock will not bend enuf to allow you to prelocate all the channels.

What's so bad about taping and mudding and sanding? A good vacuum hooked up to your sander will keep the dust down, and if you open a basement window and pressurize the house, you shouldn't get much dust out of the basement except what you track up.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I know guys who have taped trywall, finishing with a damp sponge to the point VERY little sanding was required. Hiring a good drywaller is a LOT cheaper than having a basement wall sytem installed.. My daughter's small basement was quoted at $25,000. We did it in paperless (fiberglass) drywall for less than 1/10.

Reply to
clare

-snip-

The guy who taught me would do a room with a sponge- and I'd paint it the next day. *NO* sanding- ever. I'm not as good, but I

*rarely* sand anything in my house.

You owe it to yourself to see it done right one time. A good crew is worth he price of admission just to watch.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I agree. I actually hired a guy to do a room for me when I first bought my house. The entire room was paneled and wanted it gone. Unfortunately, the underside was glued on and was a PITA to remove. The drywall finisher coated the room with mud and did a superb job. I think I'll stick with the drywall and hire him again. Straight seams and corners should be a breeze for him.

Reply to
Meanie

My wife is bugging me to get rid of the paneling in our family room/my office. I like the paneling and was considering painting it to lightn it up. The only other alternative I considered was to rip the paneling down, it is only nailed to the studs. I did not consider mudding over the entire room because I was concerned about the mud cracking at every seam in the paneling. I had not thought about taping over the seams and then mudding. Exactly how did you do it??

Reply to
hrhofmann

My wife is bugging me to get rid of the paneling in our family room/my office. I like the paneling and was considering painting it to lightn it up. The only other alternative I considered was to rip the paneling down, it is only nailed to the studs. I did not consider mudding over the entire room because I was concerned about the mud cracking at every seam in the paneling. I had not thought about taping over the seams and then mudding. Exactly how did you do it??

Perhaps I should elaborate.

He didn't coat over the paneling, I removed all the paneling to discover the contact adhesive on the drywall. I tried to scrape the dried glue off which probably would have taken me weeks. Therefore, instead of removing the glue, the drywall guy mudded the walls over the glue.

The idea of applying mud over paneling was something the wife and I thought of also for the basement. I would think the main problem would be adhesion. My idea was to caulk the seams flush with the panels, then apply mud throughout. Again, I'm not so sure it would adhere properly or if so, for how long. I will ask the guy I hired to see if this is something he's ever done and if so, the steps required to make it work.

Reply to
Meanie

Good, and let us know what he has to say - Thanx.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Any size project is worth hiring a professional. I had a rocker hang & finish a kitchen & dining room in one day. Both rooms were a total wall gut job, which I did myself. He skim coated the ceilings in both rooms, plus the living room/foyer & hall. Primed everything, then did a knock down texture on kitchen/dining/living room/ foyer & hall within the next 2 days. Final cost: $1,800.

I offered to help carry in the 10' sheets, and the way he moved, I was just in the way.

Reply to
Andy

And exactly how did you locate this paragon of a drywall finisher?

Reply to
hrhofmann