Harbor Freight battery leakage

First time I've had trouble with HF batteries. I went to my shelf for something today, and find that two packages of brand new HF "Thudnerbolt Magnum" AA cells had leaked. Two eaches 24 packs. Between then, about 20 batteries had leaked. Less than a year old, not been recharged, brand new in the package.

I'm rather disappointed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hmhsc7 $sj4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Couple of weeks ago I was in an Ollie's. Much like a Big Lots. Half the many many packs of batteries were leaking in the packs on display.

Reply to
Red Green

As in most cases, you get what you pay for. I buy only Duracells at Costco or one of the other wholesale clubs; great product, fantastic price. I have never had a Duracell leak, especially new ones on the shelf!

RP

Real Pisser

"Real Pisser" wrote in news:hmj1gv$6vu$ snipped-for-privacy@adenine.netfront.net:

I posted here long ago about HF Thunderbolt batteries leaking. They're terrible. But,I will NOT buy Duracells either,as they have leaked more than any other brand except the HF Thunderbolts.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Can you document this claim?

Reply to
Bob F

Happened to me the first time I bought HF batteries. But I certainly wasn't surprised. HF is cheap junk that is always a risky buy. Cheap, but risky.

Reply to
mike

On 3/2/2010 8:51 AM mike spake thus:

Not disputing the experiences described here, but I have some of HF's rechargeable batteries (AA nicad) which haven't leaked and seem to be performing reliably. Guess it depends on the particular cell/battery you buy.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I don't think I have ever seen a rechargeable leak. However it isn't surprising that the cheap junk conventional batteries they sell leak.

Reply to
George

Some of the items sold at Harbor Freight are indeed "cheap junk". Many other items, however, are perfectly functional, and are a relative steal for what you pay for them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I think Stormy saying that the batteries having not been recharged was just to say that they were not (as alkaline batteries should not be) recharged. I don't *think* he was talking about NiCad or NiMH or any other real rechargeables. I did not check HF's website to see what those he mentioned are.

Real Pisser

I've also seen leaky batteries, on display. Not very appetizing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I took the HF batteries back tonight. The exchanged them with no quibbles, or questions.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Heat, temperature swings, and freezing can all break the seal.

I used to take off-brand AA cells ice fish> First time I've had trouble with HF batteries. I

Reply to
E Z Peaces

I keep reading about you and your flash lite and battery troubles. I just had a battery go bad in a Maglite that I lost three years ago and just found. one cell still is good. You must be very unlucky or you buy cheap crap.

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO