Harbor Freight battery leakage

First time I've had trouble with HF batteries. I went to my shelf for something today, and find that two packages of brand new HF "Thudnerbolt Magnum" AA cells had leaked. Two eaches 24 packs. Between then, about 20 batteries had leaked. Less than a year old, not been recharged, brand new in the package.
I'm rather disappointed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Couple of weeks ago I was in an Ollie's. Much like a Big Lots. Half the many many packs of batteries were leaking in the packs on display.
I've also seen leaky batteries, on display. Not very appetizing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I posted here long ago about HF Thunderbolt batteries leaking. They're terrible. But,I will NOT buy Duracells either,as they have leaked more than any other brand except the HF Thunderbolts.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Can you document this claim?
I took the HF batteries back tonight. The exchanged them with no quibbles, or questions.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Happened to me the first time I bought HF batteries. But I certainly wasn't surprised. HF is cheap junk that is always a risky buy. Cheap, but risky.
On 3/2/2010 8:51 AM mike spake thus:

Not disputing the experiences described here, but I have some of HF's rechargeable batteries (AA nicad) which haven't leaked and seem to be performing reliably. Guess it depends on the particular cell/battery you buy.

- a Usenet "apology"
On 3/2/2010 12:46 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

surprising that the cheap junk conventional batteries they sell leak.
---
mike wrote:

Some of the items sold at Harbor Freight are indeed "cheap junk". Many other items, however, are perfectly functional, and are a relative steal for what you pay for them.
Jon
Heat, temperature swings, and freezing can all break the seal.
I used to take off-brand AA cells ice fishing. I'd drop one in my hole to mark it if I had to leave to get more beer. That way people would know I was coming back and they'd have me to deal with if they took my hole. I guess the cold made those batteries leaky. They always sank before I got back.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I keep reading about you and your flash lite and battery troubles. I just had a battery go bad in a Maglite that I lost three years ago and just found. one cell still is good. You must be very unlucky or you buy cheap crap.
Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair