Hamilton Beach Blender -jammed switches

My very VERY old Hamilton Beach model 612 blender will not turn on because the 7 push buttons are all jammed. Blender has been sitting on my shelf unused for several years.

Since no parts are available, I want to disassemble the case to try to free those switches. I do not know the type of tool, if any, needed to release the two plastic case parts.

Hamilton Beach did not let me talk to someone for assistance.

Thanks for any helpful hints. Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

A little more info about disassembling the plastic case parts.

Removing the rubber feet, I can insert a 3 1/2 tool inside the blender case. At bottom of the 3 1/2 deep hole, I expected to see a slotted or philips screw or an allen wrench opening. Did not see either instead saw a flat surface. Tried pushing on the flat surface while trying to loosen the case. Pressing did not help loosen the case.

Still cannot quite understand how to part the 2 case halves. Still can use h> My very VERY old Hamilton Beach model 612 blender will not turn on

Reply to
Dave_s

Something like this unless you just happen to find somebody who has the identical unit is the place where posting photo on one of the hosting sites is going to be invaluable...

Or at least if you can find a parts diagram that _might_ help...

--

Reply to
dpb

Hello dpb,

Terrific idea and I do thank you.

Can you suggest a hosting site or two? I'll prepare my material. Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

On FLICKR web site the pictures of my blender can be seen at

Thanks for any help.

Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

On FLICKR web site the pictures of my blender can be seen at

Thanks for any help.

Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

Pretty common to hide the screws under the rubber feet. A shot of contact cleaner/ lubricant will often free up the switches. Follow up with some electrical contact grease. I used to use some called "Green Stuff" dont know if its still around or not. I bought a 1/2 pint can of it back in the '70s....didnt know it was going to be a lifetime supply.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Dave_s wrote the following:

Jammed because they will not move? Perhaps something was spilled on the buttons and they are sticky? My usual remedy would be to flush the buttons with hot water and set the mixer outside to dry in the sun. That what I do with computer keyboards at work.

Reply to
willshak

A shot of

Jimmy, Can you clarify my questions about your very good suggestion?

The case is still closed. I cannot part the case to get internal access to the push button switches. Sounds like you are suggesting I apply the grease or WD40 or thin lubricant onto the exposed external switch buttons and let liquid run into insides through the gap between button and sheet metal.

Applied hot water (no soap) onto the switch buttons. This did free a few of the buttons a bit.

By working the actual white buttons, pulling each button up, all buttons up, the buttons can then be moved a quite bit more. The buttons behave like they are internally sticky and prefer to stay in down position. I push one down and it pops up nearby down button but it stays down and must be wiggled while trying to pop it up by pushing down a nearby button.

Not sure how to get that " electrical contact grease " into the internal switches when case is closed. Apply to external buttons?

Many thanks, Dave_S

Reply to
Dave_s

Just be careful of the type of contact cleaner. Some of it will melt the plastic and totally ruin the switches.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I used to have one of these (actually a couple) but I finally gave them away YEARS ago.

ebay 160628718574

My recollection is that unit operated by pushing down any single button at a time. The unit was turned off by pushing the off button.

The problem happens if more than one button was pushed at a time.

Give this a try.....gently pry off all the plastic buttons to expose the metal switch posts.

Gently grip each post in turn and pull up on it sightly. Each time you pull up on a post, gently push down on the "off button" post.

If you continue to work the switch posts, I believe you will be able to return the switch to its "normal" state; all posts up & the "off button" post down.

My recollection is that the switch can be teased back to working without taking the case apart.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Try buying a can of electronic contact cleaner at your local home center and spay the push-buttons.

Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit

Bill,

Once pushed down, unless wiggled vigorously it prefers to stay down even though while trying stop is pushed. Side to side alignment is really critical to help button rise up again.

Cannot remove any white plastic buttons. Tried prying, no success.

Regards, dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

There ae 4 fasteners right around the motor, I would start with loosening those 4 screws.

Reply to
hrhofmann

A can of electronic contact cleaner should free up your switches.

Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeeetroit

I suspect it's either gummed up or there's a return spring for the latching mechanism which has broken / come loose (or the mechanism is simply worn, but these kind of switch setups normally take a *lot* of use before that happens). Either way, you're better off finding a way inside the thing.

Looking at the photos, some other possibilities for access are screws hidden under the black covering around the switches (it's possible this was stuck down after factory assembly and test), or somehow via the white bezel below the jug (if this unscrews or unclips somehow).

Can't you get a flashlight in to see if there are fixings normally hidden by the feet (Or use a digital camera in macro mode)?

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

e the 7 push buttons are all jammed. Blender has been sitting on my shelf u nused for several years.Since no parts are available, I want to disassemble the case to try to free those switches. I do not know the type of tool, if any, needed to release the two plastic case parts.Hamilton Beach did not l et me talk to someone for assistance.Thanks for any helpful hints.Dave_s

Hey Dave,

although an old post , I have A HB mopdel 748, bascially same unit with sam e knid of switch and smae problem. the four screws shown in th pic will sep arate the case. The switch comes out by lifting silk screen over buttons, t here will be a screw at each end by screws Chuck B

Reply to
vulcanrider58