Grease spilled on wood floor

Page 2 of 2

Should get it out, Ive redone alot of wood that only sanding restores color, the floor is stained.

Thanks, Joe - that is very helpful, as well as being a good addition to my tiny data bank <g>
If I get the grease off, along with what's left of the finish, then I'm faced with refinishing the area, which I know zip about. The last time wood floors were refinished was about 45 or more years ago, after a fire. I have NO clue what was used and how to match it.
Also, to avoid weird spotty appearance, I would have to remove finish in a defined area, including OK portions, rather than just as the grease sprayed out in a random pattern, as sprays do.
Sigh!
What if I just waxed it heavily and prayed a lot? (Nobody listens to me Up There.) <g>
Amiga
On 2/16/2009 9:46 AM snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com spake thus:

You do *not* want to use paint stripper (methylene chloride, as suggested above)--trust me. Couple reasons: first of all, methylene chloride is nasty stuff: carcinogenic, among other things. But more importantly, you don't want to remove the finish: you just want to get the grease out.
The best things to use are 1) mineral solvents (like naphtha as I suggested, mineral spirits or paint *thinner*, all basically the same stuff), or 2) denatured alcohol. I think the mineral spirits will do a better job of dissolving grease than alcohol will.
If some of the finish is gone, it's not that hard to refinish some small patches, using varnish of various types (polyurethane, alkyd, etc.). That's a separate issue. Probably some threads here that deal with that problem, or you can find books that show you how to do it. No need to strip, sand and refinish the whole damn floor.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
David Nebenzahl wrote:

We've had that conversation before. MC is as harmless as paint. It just looks and smells bad, much like my ex-wife. Come to think on it, she wasn't exactly harmless...

Not the same stuff: Naptha is carcinogenic, paint thinner is not. Denatured alcohol is carcinogenic. In fact, the grease he's trying to remove may be more cancer-causing than anything mentioned so far.

True. Further, the worst that can happen is he has to buy a rug.
On 2/16/2009 12:21 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Bullshit. Sez you.

Nope. Only if it contains benzene.
> Denatured alcohol is carcinogenic.
Again, bullshit. Show me a MSDS that says that for methanol.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Check this link for health issues related to methylene chloride and methanol....amazing types of products which contain methanol (likely tiny amounts):
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/list?tbl=TblChemicals&alpha=M
MC as harmless as paint? Not true, if you are including all types of paint. MC is dangerous on a number of issues.
Rub your head on the floor and clean it up with your hair.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

It's God's honest truth. From my lips to heaven's gate! You could let your sister marry it. You could name your children after it. You could build a whole religion around it. It's as true as a dog's unconditional love. It could be the foundation for the building of an empire that would rival that of Rome in its prime. You could print it on our currency or chisel it in the foundation stone of the Supreme Court building.

What's "methanol" got to do with denatured alchohol? It's ETHYL alcohol that's carcinogenic and "denatured" alcohol is ethyl alcohol plus posions.
--- begin quote Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans: May affect genetic material (mutagenic) Causes adverse reproductive effects and birth defects (teratogenic) , based on moderate to heavy consumption. May cause cancer based on animal data. Human: passes through the placenta, excreted in maternal milk. (Ethyl alcohol 200 Proof) --- end quote http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId 23956
On Feb 15, 10:34pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

I had a similar problem on a coffee table. I used Goof Off and then went over it with some wipe on poly. It took several applications of the Goof Off to get it out.
Jimmie
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 19:34:41 -0800, Amiga wrote:

Have you tried an iron, as in iron your clothes, and folded paper towels. Hope the heat liquidfies the grease enough that the paper towel absorbs most of it. That would have been my first thought. Works to remove candle wax to a point from carpet.

No, darn it; never thought of that. Will try anything, esp. milder remedies, before going heavier. This has been several weeks ago, so maybe too late, but couldn't hurt to try.
Tx
On Feb 20, 1:23pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

An iron wont do didly, its imbedded

An iron wont do didly, its imbedded
As I've been TRYING to tell the idiot ransley , but he's to stupid to realize it yet...He's a lost cause.....He has a whole list of chemicals and their respective pros and cons and now he is starting over again asking about chemicals...Next he will ask if the "magic" Sham Wow towels will take it out.....LOL...