grass

Can I spread grass seed now in the Mid-Atlantic area? It's going to rain for the next few days but the temperature will be in the 50s. Is it too late and too cold?

Reply to
badgolferman

Dirt temperature needs to be a minimum or 50 or 55f to germinate seed and depending on grass type that takes 5-14 days. Im not sure but I think it needs to then also grow for a period of time to establish or it would die rather than go dorment. Measure dirt temp and figure your timeline. Im midwest and already had a frost here so I am to late, but maybe your area will be warmer longer.

Reply to
ransley

Yes.

Good time.

Reply to
LouB

You should still be OK. The window of opportunity in that area is from early Sept until about now. It would have been better to have done it in Sept, but I've done it in coastal NJ this time of year with good results. Doing it earlier would give it more chance to get established before the hard cold of winter. It also depends on what you're doing and where exactly you are. Even here, NW NJ is a lot different than coastal NJ, etc. And depends on the grass, tall fescue will germinate in 6 days, while blue grass can take more than twice as long and is slower to establish.

If you;re just hitting some problem spots, I'd definitely do it. If it's trying to establish a whole new lawn, I might still do it, but it is more risk. Make sure to put down starter fertilizer to help it along.

Reply to
trader4

Try it. Here the soil temperature is often not that warm. But grass grows. Just for reference the temperature of the cold water coming into the house several feet down is about 45 to 50 degrees all year round. With a short summer and not much sunlight doubt if our soil temperature gets above 60 at best of times.

Reply to
terry

going to

50s. Is

If you are just loking for some greenery or errosion control you can put some rye grass seed out (annual) until you get your next optimal chance to seed in the spring. Rye grows fast and i have had luck germinating in those temp ranges when other seed would not.

hth robb

Reply to
robb

Fall _is_ the optimum seeding time for the cool-weather grasses and it is highly unlikely to be too late in "Mid-Atlantic" area although that is quite a bit of latitude of where could fall into that description.

I'd suggest OP simply pick up the phone and talk to local County Agent and see what their recommendations are.

It's possible to throw seed out midwinter on the snow and have it melt into the ground and get covered by the freeze/thaw cycle to germinate in spring quite successfully in many areas.

Spring is when folks think of seeding but in many places it either turns hot and/or dry early that is quite stressful for establishing lawns that will do far better in fall.

--

Reply to
dpb

Whereabouts in NW NJ?

Lou

Reply to
LouB

I overseed with fescue in late September in east Tennessee, although it can still be done now since it is still warm. Your region may be too cold for good germination.

Reply to
Phisherman

Coastal Southeast Virginia.

Reply to
badgolferman

That is what I always heard, you want to get it in the last snow storm of the season. In the DC area that would be any storm right before Easter. The rule of thumb is it never snowed after Easter. I am not sure I ever saw that rule broken in the 38 years I lived there.

Reply to
gfretwell

"badgolferman" wrote

I'm same area. VB. Yes, we can still seed. 3 weeks ago was optimal but we'll have enough warm days ahead that it will germinate and get a decent bed going before long term cold hits. We'll have a few cold days but it doesnt really get cold until mid-December. This weekend will be wet and rainy but that won't hurt it any.

Reply to
cshenk

Your nym indicates why you might be attracted to grass, but I must tell you, one of the best things I ever did was rip out my lawn and replace it with gravel, a small patio area, and low-maintenance native ornamentals.

Now I can spend less time mowing the lawn and more time practicing my

12-ounce curls on Saturdays.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

badgolferman

50s. Is

must tell

replace

practicing my

I thought one of the big time saving trends of late is to rip out the grass and put in one of the new turf grasses that fool all but the mot scrutinous eye ?

I doubt it compares to the cost of gravel though.

Reply to
robb

Should be okay. Protect seed with straw.

Reply to
Phisherman

Nope, he's way too far south to need that. Good choice for NJ or NY though!

Reply to
cshenk

[trim]
[trim]

out

i mant to type *artificial* turf grasses as in

robb