Granite Countertop /\/\/\/ crack /\/\/\/\/\/ ???

Page 2 of 2
olddog wrote:

Caution: She can buy granite - or at least marble - in Italy.
Actually we had a news crew out front last night and we weren't sure why. After the neighbor's all gathered around we finally broke down and went outside to investigate ourselves. Turned out they said there was some odd seismic activity in the area and they were checking into it. We were nervous about going back into the house but decided it was safer then standing out in the street seeing as now the news helicopters were zooming overhead.
As we went back inside we could feel a rumbling in the pit of our bellies and it wasn't the double-dip mega-volcano tacos we has recently consumed.... it was coming from the foundation of the house, Running thru the kitchen to gather our valuables we were temporarily blinded by a flash of light near the sink! As our vision cleared we saw the fracture in the countertop growing and the light was flickering on and off from the crack, and a yellow smoke was rising. We grabbed the dog, the last of the Newcastles from the fridge and bolted out the door just as a crack of lightning flashed in the skies. It must of hit a helicopter which had been floating in the air much in the way that bricks don't. We jumped in the Jeep and zoomed off thru the crowd just as our home and the entire neighborhood disappeared in the massive glwoing sinkhole.
As we drove off we thought maybe it wasn't best to try to do the epoxy fill ourselves, maybe we should let the installers do it. Yeah, next time around we'll do that as they probably know what they're doing and if they mess up it's on their nickel. Sounds like that's the way to go.... and the pants are fine, everything in it's place :O)

That is who your issue is with. They are the ones you hired/contracted. They sub-k'd it to the installers. They hired the installers. The installers worked for who sold you the countertop package, not you.

That is their problem and has nothing to do with you. If they hired piss poor installers then they have to deal with it even if it means they have to hire some other installer to correct the problem.
PeterLester had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Granite-Countertop-crack-374451-.htm : If the granite was not cracked prior to or during installation, the problem is with the support structure and/or those who installed your counters/islands. Did they design the cabinets to support granite or lighter materials? Is there any overhang of granite off the edge of supporting structures? If there is overhang, does it extend past 10 inches? If it does, even supporting corbels may not suffice without stronger reinforcement.
Granite manufacturers would have a very restricted business if they where entirely honest about the limitations of supporting structures and most 98% so-called granites are actually hones and polished rock materials that are not quite as strong especially the crystalline and aggregate materials.
infiniteMPG wrote:

------------------------------------- \\//.Peter Lester Calgary, Alberta