Gorilla glue

As for gluing, I feel that nothing beats Gorilla glue.
However...
When it gets to half full, it always starts to solidify.
This occurs despite tight capping.
I know it is activated by humidity.
I started storing it in my fridge.
Anyone found a better answer ?
Thanks, Andy
On 06/30/2015 8:06 PM, Andy wrote:

For gluing _what_, wpecifically?
For wood in particular, it has been demonstrated in testing that yellow carpenters glues are stronger and the Type II and III have sufficient waterproof and resistance to handle virtually any application other than submerged or totally wet. And, they don't foam...

I had poor performance with gorilla, especially doing the instructions of wetting, and foaming. The foamed connection had poor strength.
Greg

I used some gorilla tape once and was very disappointed in it's gripping power. Didn't seem any better then plain old duck tape.
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 6:02:02 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Use new duct tape, works better! *L*o*L*

I found the same thing. If you ask me, it's just duct tape of a different color.
On 6/30/2015 9:06 PM, Andy wrote:

An old guy at the hardware store suggested I squeeze the bottle to exclude air, before tightly capping. Not sure that makes any difference. I always buy the smallest bottle of GG, cause I hate throwing away rock hard larger bottles.
On 6/30/2015 9:06 PM, Andy wrote:

Gorilla glue is an isocyanate and cures by reaction with water.
You have to store in a dry place and not keep cap off for any length of time.
Unfortunately, and the company should know better, it is sold in a polyethylene bottle. Polyethylene is one of the worst polymers for gas penetration. Think of a rubber balloon vs an aluminum coated Mylar balloon. The rubber one will deflate in a day and the coated one will last weeks longer. It is that way with air and water. There is a way to make a polyethylene bottle with a copolymer layer that is a thousand times less permeable than polyethylene. I see them used in food packaging.
I've seen small metalized packages of Gorilla glue for single use which should last much longer.
I prefer those syringes of two part epoxy. They will last for years after opening if kept capped.
Frank" <"frank wrote:

They make numerous types.
On 7/1/2015 1:02 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Polyurethane was the most prevalent, but they even have duct tape now too.
On 7/1/2015 2:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Right. Polyurethane was original material and now they add their name to other materials. Polyurethane probably has the shortest shelf life.
On 7/1/15 8:27 AM, Frank wrote:

My first bottle hardened starting at the tip. The next time I needed it, I was able to get to the liquid using a drill. My second bottle had a better cap. I think it hardened at the tip first.
Subsequently, I bought a tube of moisture-cured polyurethane glue in a metal tube. The second time, I needed vise grips to unscrew the cap. I cleaned the threads and applied white grease, both to keep the cap from sticking and to keep air, carrying moisture, from migrating in and out. With the grease, the glue stayed good until I squeezed the last bit out, months later.
If I buy any more gorilla glue, I'll grease the threads. If that doesn't work, I'll grease the whole darned bottle. At least I won't get glue stuck to my fingers that way!

Isn't that the same as Super Glue? I have never found much use for Super Glue. It dont work on porous materials (wood) or plastics. About the only thing it worked in was a plate, and managed to glue my fingers together real well.
On 7/3/2015 10:29 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Yes, except curing mechanism is different.
I've never found super glue that useful as bonds don't last as long.
On 7/3/2015 10:29 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Super glues that I've used are clear, and might or might not work.
Gorilla glue is colored, thick and heavy, and foams up when it hardens.
My experience is different stuff.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/1/2015 8:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a brand new, never opened bottle of Gorilla Glue on the shelf. My backup for when the one I was using hardened.
Well, it did. And so I got the backup. It is also rock hard. I'd tucked the reciept in with the box, and it was from 2009. I doubt I'll get much sympathy from the folks at Harbor Freight.