GFI plug

I just moved into a new house. I noticed in my powder room that there is an outlet on the wall directly beside the sink. It does not appear to be a GFI plug as it has no reset test buttons on it. Does an outlet that close not have to be a GFI plug ?

Reply to
car crash

The electrical code will tell you. Some house installations do and others may not comply with the current code. Your municipal building permits office can tell you:

1) What the current code requires for bathroom outlets 2) Whether the code is retroactively enforced or not.
Reply to
Don Phillipson

Hi, Plug is male part, LOL. Anyhow a GFCI outlet can take care of several regular outlet down stream. Even if it is regular outlet, it may be covered by another GFCI one upstream.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

or even in the panel. both my bathroom outlets are covered at the panel, and have standard outlets in the bathroom

Dave

Reply to
Zephyr

It *should* be a GFCI by current code, but if it is older construction it may not have been required at the time of installation. If that bothers you, it's an easy retrofit.

Also, you may have a GFCI breaker in the panel rather than a GFCI outlet.

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

You can purchase an outlet tester with a GFI detection function on it pretty cheaply and use it to test that outlet to see if it is GFI protected and also that it is wired correctly.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Speaking of those testers, what happens if you press the GFI test button when the tester is plugged into a non-GFI outlet? From what I can tell with my multimeter, the connection it makes to ground for the test is through a high enough resistance that it should not draw much current, so I expect it is safe, but with electrical things, it's always best to ask first!

Reply to
Tim Smith

When I had the same question, I answered it by trying it. It does nothing.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You are correct, the current drawn by the tester is only about 10 milliamps or so.

I've "tested" for GFCI presence simply by sticking the leads of a 10K ohm 2 watt carbon resistor into the hot and ground holes on a receptical.

That's not an official recommendation guys, use at your own risk.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You can also do this if you don't have a tester:

1) Unzip your fly 2) Pull out your junk 3) Go wee wee into the outlet 4) If it is FDIC protected, then it will trip.
Reply to
Kristen Caldwell

But only the first $100,000 per account.

Reply to
Goedjn

Of course you do need a good ground.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Hold onto the sink faucet while you do that (you do need a ground).

Note that the FDIC protects outlets only if you keep your money in there :-)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

This is the second initial post I've read today where sxomeone calls a socket a plug. A plug has prongs or some male feature.

Reply to
mm

People generally imitate each other without really thinking.

I've known that a plug is a MALE connector for a long time. I've heard a lot of people say "plug" for the female things for just as long.

Some people do get their sex mixed up :-)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Wow. I wonder if they can manage to have children. My grandmother had a 6 foot electric cord with plugs on both ends. I don't know why. But she had three children so at least she knew that part.

Reply to
mm

Last November, I knew of a neighbor who made a male-male adapter (short cord with plugs on both ends) for use with holiday lights.

BTW, at least one of his kids does play on the roof sometimes.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Any time you use a Wigginton type solenoid tester on an electrical circuit you are drawing around ten milliamperes of current. Those are required equipment for electricians working for unionized shops nation wide. The test button on the GFCI tester draws very nearly the same current. Either one will trip a GFCI. Applying ten milliamperes of current to the Equipment Grounding Conductor will do no harm.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Thomas Horne

Reply to