Getting rid of the neighbor cats

Page 6 of 8

A 5 minute soak in a 55 gallon barrel of water works, too.
Steve
Have to act promptly. The one time I had a woodchuck, someone let it out before I got to the final solution.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

There was an AC truck pulled over on a street near my street one day. I stopped and asked the lady to drive by my house two blocks away and hear the constantly barking dog. Shell tells me to call the office, blah, blah... I had already filed a formal complaint.
A waste of tax dollars, IMO.
Oren wrote:

Animal control responded every time with warnings or tickets when I had a problem with a barking dog.

Don't waste your time. I had a dog that barked all night when his owner was at work. They won't do a thing unless you have the animal trapped on YOUR property.
It all depends on your relationship with your neighbors. If you like them, talk to them. They MAY keep the cats at home. Step two, trap the cat, take it over and give it to them, and tell them next time you will take it to animal control. Step three, if no compliance, take it to animal control. Step four, take it to a local creek and give it a five minute soak.
Steve
Jon Danniken wrote:

Hi, No motion sensing sprinkler? If you kill the cat, you get into trouble.

I did the motion sensing sprinkler, forgot to turn it off while I was on vacation. My neighbor who had agreed to take care of my dog found it the hard way.
Jimmie

Fence the garden; bleach the carport. Get a dog. Set up traps and take them to the pound. Get a life.
Jon Danniken wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6974687.stm
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 00:12:09 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

At Home Depot and garden centers, you can buy cat repellant.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I admit to a high degree of skepticism as to the effectiveness of such products.
Jon

Andy comments:
When my garden was visited too much by squirrels, I shot one and constructed a small gallows and hung the dead squirrel from it where it could be seen by the others. That worked very well..
I not suggesting that you kill one of the cats. I think if you find some already dead animal and hang it up,it might serve as a good deterrent....
..... it also works well on Mexicans......
Jon Danniken wrote:

Feral, or neighbor cats? Killing feral cats is pointless- it just opens up a slot for one from down the road to move in. The supply is close to infininite, and self replenishing.
-- aem sends...
Much same with squirrels. My Dad tried trap and release. One friend of Dad's, a military vet (and lives in the country) tried reducing his squirrel population with a rimfire rifle. Gave up after 300 squirrels. Of course, if you like squirrel recipes, that's a food source.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:59:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The carcasses might make for good house insulation too, what with all that fur. Might smell a bit after a while, though.
aemeijers wrote:

Just read an article today about someone in Australia offering recipes for cooking cat - feral cats a huge problem in Aus. Supposedly tough, taste somewhat like rabbit and chicken. Ick!

In areas with spikes in population of ferals, one thing that has worked to at least stabilize the population is catch, neuter, and release. Keeps the birth rate down. Expensive, though. And I imagine the ear notches (so they don't keep trapping the same cats) piss off the cats.
-- aem sends...

Up in NJ we often wondered if the Chinese restaurants used cats in some dishes.
Lou
No see cat! No ask!
http://firstmilkman.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/nomorecatplease.jpeg
And here is the proof, on the web.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
aemeijers wrote:

One of the neighbors. There's one guy a couple houses away who has owned unfixed males in the past, "rescue" cats. He's a nice guy, and to be honest I don't mind cats on the property (they keep the mice away), but I draw the line at being okay with their various excretions.
Jon