Getting rid of the neighbor cats

Or better yet, on yourself. If you can't tolerate wildlife, move to the city.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Cats are not wildlife, cats are people's pets.
Squirrels and birds are wildlife, and I have no problem with their behaviors.
Jon

Perhaps you could catch the owners, and punish them severely. :-)
Cheri
Cheri wrote:

Well, if axle grease wasn't bad for the cats, they would be going home with it on their bodies.
Hmmm, maybe coating them in vaseline would give the owners something to do.... ;->
Jon

Mix it with some Ben-Gue, and that will make it more exciting. Once they can get the cats off the ceiling, that is.
Steve
Shoe polish? So when Morris rubs up against his human's legs, now it's a black legged human? Don't be finicky, Moriss!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:52:00 -0500, AZ Nomad

Why do you think city dwellers have less problems with wildlife? They have a deer problem in downtown Washington DC. Raccoons, possums and feral "pets" are everywhere.

I have a Fi-Shock unit. They are reasonably priced if you don't buy the whole unnecessary package with all the stuff. IIRC, I got mine at a pet shop, and it was about $30 for the basic shocker unit, which is all you want. Zap them once or twice, and they won't come back. It's funny as hell, too. I never knew cats could jump that high! Just put a stainless steel bowl of food out on an insulated base, and leave it. As you say, make sure you have a good ground. Put it in a place where your pets or kids can't get to it. But then, if the kids do get to it, they only have to touch it once to have their curiosity satisfied. Plus, if it is on your property, and your neighbor cannot see it, there's less chance for there to be problems with them when the cat gets lit up. I have gotten rid of several wandering dogs that got in the trash, roaming cats, and a couple of wild critters. They learn fast. Do not try to electrify too big an area, or a long run of fence, as then it will be more upkeep, easier to short out, and those nosy neighbors may gripe.
Have fun.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Aye, thanks Steve, that's the one I'm thinking of getting. I only wish I were able to be there to see the damn thing hit it; that would bring me much satisfaction. :)
Jon
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:32:23 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
-snip-

Have you got a Canon point & shoot digital camera with video capability?
if you do- then all you need is the open source freeware- CHDK. It gives your camera motion detection capability-- and a million other things. [bracketing, time lapse, remote, a better battery gauge. . . .] http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
Jim

You may. Put it up on the garage roof in a place where the cat will have a secondary surprise. Just don't call the law at 2 AM when you hear something crashing. The more unpleasant the experience the less likely they are to return. I've rigged mono line to empty bundles of aluminum cans, and that can be a deterrent, too. Unless you forget and get caught on your own petard.
Steve

the fishing line/can trick is good for 2-legged prowlers,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Denise in NH wrote:

They put dogs in a bottle?
TDD
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 21:08:10 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Sure. Wile-E-Coyote
http://www.jroller.com/MasterMark/resource/_21477BP~Looney-Tunes-Wile-E-Coyote-Posters2.jpg
Even have Coyote urine.
Dab it on the cat an the program is over for the night.
Why not? They put Dr. Pepper in bottles.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

At that point, cat in the trap, the next question is "do you have a shovel"?