Getting rid of the neighbor cats

Page 3 of 8

On Oct 30, 11:17pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

buy the stuff and use his name and address and have it sent COD, then ask him to take delivery for you.
In article

Knock yourself out. But I have no need of cat repellant so make it the raccoon/possum repellant. I'm almost out. I used to have a huge problem with those pests until I tried this stuff. It works exactly as advertised and I haven't seen a raccoon or opossum in my yard in nearly five years.
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com
Doug Miller wrote:

This was covered some time back:
STATE OF ILLINOIS EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT SPRINGFIELD, April 23, 1949.
To the Honorable, the Members of the Senate of the Sixth-sixth General Assembly:
I herewith return, without my approval, Senate Bill No. 93, entitled, "An Act to Provide Protection to Insectivorous Birds by Restraining Cats." This is the so-called "Cat Bill." I veto and withhold my approval from this Bill for the following reasons:
It would impose fines on owners or keepers who permitted their cats to run at large off their premises. It would permit any person to capture or call upon the police to pick up and imprison cats at large. It would permit the use of traps. The bill would have statewide application -- on farms, in villages, and in metropolitan centers.
This legislation has been introduced in the past several sessions of the Legislature, and it has, over the years, been the source of much comment -- not all of which has been in a serious vein. It may be that the General Assembly has now seen fit to refer it to one who can view it with a fresh outlook. Whatever the reasons for passage at this session, I cannot believe there is a widespread public demand for this law or that it could, as a practical matter, be enforced.
Furthermore, I cannot agree that it should be the declared public policy of Illinois that a cat visiting a neighbor's yard or crossing the highway is a public nuisance. It is in the nature of cats to do a certain amount of unescorted roaming. Many live with their owners in apartments or other restricted premises, and I doubt if we want to make their every brief foray an opportunity for a small game hunt by zealous citizens -- with traps or otherwise. I am afraid this Bill could only create discord, recrimination and enmity. Also consider the owner's dilemma: To escort a cat abroad on a leash is against the nature of the cat, and to permit it to venture forth for exercise unattended into a night of new dangers is against the nature of the owner. Moreover, cats perform useful service, particularly in rural areas, in combating rodents -- work they necessarily perform alone and without regard for property lines.
We are all interested in protecting certain varieties of birds. That cats destroy some birds, I well know, but I believe this legislation would further but little the worthy cause to with its proponents give such unselfish effort. The problem of cat versus bird is as old as time. If we attempt to resolve it by legislation why knows but what we may be called upon to take sides as well in the age old problems of dog versus cat, bird versus bird, or even bird versus worm. In my opinion, the State of Illinois and its local governing bodies already have enough to do without trying to control feline delinquency.
For these reasons, and not because I love birds the less or cats the more, I veto and withhold my approval from Senate Bill No. 93.
Respectfully, ADLAI E. STEVENSON, Governor

Agreed. I no longer have any outdoor cats and the rodent population has grown horrendously in just two years. I'm in the boonies and for 25 years all my cats were feral strays who wandered up to the house and decided that beds and canned food were really great things to have, at least at night. During the day, however, even in the dead of winter, most of the feral kitties were killing machines. My remaining three are indoor-only cats that I inherited when a relative died. They've never been out and since we have coyotes I just don't want to let them out since they don't show any interest anyway. They do just great with the occasional indoor varmint, but I would LOVE to have the closest neighbor's cat come over and clear my yard. Unfortunately that kitty is getting old and rarely leaves his own acreage, plus there are enough rodents within a few feet of his porch that he has no need to come all the way over here. I WISH I had the OPs "problem".

In other words, no nearby neighbors to piss off with your cats.
Master Betty wrote:

One of my neighbors' cats buries it's "output". The problem is that it does this on my vegetable garden.
I actually went out and bought (ten bucks) a length of chicken wire to surround the garden, but it just hops over that.
I'll be taking the chicken wire down next year and electrifying the garden until the little POS learns to stay out.
Jon

why not make a "sandbox" to divert them away from your garden? In some out-of-the-way area.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

You have *got* to be kidding me.
Jon

well,there's also a benefit to having cats roam your property,in addition to the poop-in-garden issue. besides,how do you know its neighbor cats and not feral cats that are pooping in your garden?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Because I have seen the cat in question, Jim. Not that it matters, mind you, catshit is catshit.
Jon

Maybe we'll all get lucky and your neighbors will run over your wife.
cats.
cats. Masterbatey seems to think he's funny. Not so much. PLONK.
cats.

wow...h told me!
Now lets kill some cats!!

All my cats, past and present came from prisons. What a humble bunch.
Darby will walk to the mail box, listen when I tell her something. I'm amazed at how many words dogs and cats understand.
Oh, Jessie met my boat for fresh fish. I miss her.
Gosh cats like fresh fish....
Oren wrote:

I acquired my only pet cat by marriage....neutered male cat about 8 y/o. Had some bad habits, as did his master, when I joined up. I have never before, and will never be again, a "cat person". Hubby had stacks of important papers on the kitchen counter, some stained with cat urine. Yuck! Cat had habit of jumping onto the dining room table to nap...and, bless his heart, did not like to be scolded. Most gentle, mellow cat I've ever seen. Soon was successful in teaching him to stay off food surfaces and d.r. table. He had horrible infest. of fleas, and tolerated baths and flea dips until topical stuff for cats came out. When I resorted to the strongest flea dip I could find, he tolerated it very well....no fussing or fighting, but he disappeared right afterward. When I searched the house to find him, I found him in the washing machine on top of the clothes waiting to be washed :o)
When he began to lose weight, we took him to the vet and found out he had a tumor, probably cancer. We began to give him special treats, like regular tuna. Within a couple of months, he behaved as if he was in pain, which was only as he got into and out of his box. When he was in pain, we took him to the vet and he was euthanized, age about 13. Hubby was his third owner, two previous owners deceased. He had always been an indoor cat, and I would never have let him out alone....we had an injured, mutilated cat crawl into our condo atrium one night and that was not a pretty sight. There are racoons and coyotes almost everywhere, including the city where I live. A pet lives with humans. Wild animals roam freely. Pets don't belong on the streets, picking up diseases and injuries.

Agreed. Didn't anyone watch the book/movie *Never Cry Wolf* ? I feed birds, and have three cats. I am careful to feed birds in ways that do not create an ambush for the feeding birds, and my three cats rarely catch a bird. What they do catch is the mice that come in from the fields looking for my food supply.
h wrote:

no animal shelters near you?

I already have 3 INDOOR cats. I simply can't afford to care for any more cats, plus there's no guarantee that a cat up for adoption would be suited to going outside (used to dealing with coyotes and badgers, etc.)
On Oct 30, 11:17pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

if you were my neighbor and my cat was bothering your garden, and $15 would solve the problem, I'd be happy to pay for the stuff...
Mark