Germans trying to kill-off pound

Harry said PIIGGS. You get this

"Additional permutations gained prominence during the 2009 United Kingdom bank rescue package period and into the 2010 European sovereign debt crisis as some commentators used numerous variations such as PIIGGS[27][28] which includes Great Britain for assorted political, economic, or social reportage and editorial commentary.[29][30][31]"

gfretwell

I never have less than a few hundred in my wallet. Emergency money.

Reply to
krw

A lot of '1's, '2's, '5's, and '0's, though. Very few '3's (all the Clinton bills went into collections).

Why? Not everything is in multiples of $1. Sales tax, for one.

Reply to
krw
.

Doubt they will ever be eliminated, but they can be reduced by rounding. Start with eliminating pennies. Once people get used to that, start using a simple method of skipping over the last couple of cents and stick with 50¢. A $15.30 bill becomes $15.00 or at least $15.25.

This is done a lot in Italy. My restaurant bill was 52 Euro. I had no coin, so I have the waiter a 50 and a 10. Expecting 8 back, I was surprised he gave me the 10 back rather than make change.

Hi loss though. Tipping is not expected there, but a small tip is appreciated and I was going to leave one. With no smaller bills, I did not.

I really hate it when you buy something and it comes to $130.03 and you have no small change.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bret Maverick kept a $1,000.00 bill pinned to the inside of his coat for emergency purposes. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I always try to keep a small handful of change in my pocket.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What does a $1 bill become, after tax?

That happens now. I'd be rather miffed if they took the $.99, though.

I always carry some change. Quite often I pay with exact change. I paid with exact change in a restaurant Friday night and this noon.

Reply to
krw

Not a single bill, obviously, but until a week ago, I had been carrying ten Franklins around in my wallet. I was looking for a laptop for SWMBO[*] but I didn't find one I liked, so ordered one.

[*] Intended as a Christmas present but hers died too soon.
Reply to
krw