Germans trying to kill-off pound

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 09:48:49 -0600, Vic Smith

On 11/20/2011 12:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Bret Maverick kept a $1,000.00 bill pinned to the inside of his coat for emergency purposes. ^_^
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maverick_%28TV_series%29
TDD
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:07:07 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Not a single bill, obviously, but until a week ago, I had been carrying ten Franklins around in my wallet. I was looking for a laptop for SWMBO[*] but I didn't find one I liked, so ordered one.
[*] Intended as a Christmas present but hers died too soon.

Which explains your issues with reading. The letters are all virtually identical - unless you look at them!

I am amazed we're still using coins.

A lot of '1's, '2's, '5's, and '0's, though. Very few '3's (all the Clinton bills went into collections).

Why? Not everything is in multiples of $1. Sales tax, for one.
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:20:09 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
.

Doubt they will ever be eliminated, but they can be reduced by rounding. Start with eliminating pennies. Once people get used to that, start using a simple method of skipping over the last couple of cents and stick with 50. A $15.30 bill becomes $15.00 or at least $15.25.
This is done a lot in Italy. My restaurant bill was 52 Euro. I had no coin, so I have the waiter a 50 and a 10. Expecting 8 back, I was surprised he gave me the 10 back rather than make change.
Hi loss though. Tipping is not expected there, but a small tip is appreciated and I was going to leave one. With no smaller bills, I did not.
I really hate it when you buy something and it comes to $130.03 and you have no small change.
On 11/20/2011 1:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I always try to keep a small handful of change in my pocket.
TDD

What does a $1 bill become, after tax?

That happens now. I'd be rather miffed if they took the $.99, though.

I always carry some change. Quite often I pay with exact change. I paid with exact change in a restaurant Friday night and this noon.