Generators, nat gas: Noise?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:38:32 -0500, "Existential Angst"

The length isn't that big an issue, but it needs to be sized right - roughly 1-1/2X to 2X the exhaust port at the muffler now. If you have a 3/4" to 1" port there, start thinking 1-1/2" to 2" pipe.
If it goes up toward the roof, or up and out at the top of the wall, the rising heat from the exhaust will develop a draft naturally, and it'll draw just like a furnace vent.
Be sure to put a weatherhead flap on the outside so the rain doesn't come in, and on a wall installation you might want a bug screen over the end so nothing tries to set up housekeeping in the tailpipe. That could gum up the works at the worst possible moment.
--<< Bruce >>--
A) Natural gas is your best option, unless you are in Califunny or other earthshake environs. No fuel to spoil, and no significant issues on storing enough fuel without the Fire Marshal/your insurer unloading on you. If you've got gas, it will start. MTBF of resi gas is in the decades.
Propane is the next in line; you can safely have a large tank & it won't spoil as gasoline & Diesel do.
Gasoline is the worst possible fuel to store in quantity.
B) 3600 RPM air cooled engines are always going to be lots noisier than an 1800 RPM water cooled unit.
C) It would be insane to put a unit inside. Build it a doghouse, lined with cementboard.
D) If you want noise: <
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYF89zPzjkg
<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hva6JYoiuw

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:36:34 -0800 (PST), rangerssuck

If I understand their analogy- it creates deafness, not silence. ???? I can do that with a set of headphones-- just have to hand them out to anyone who doesn't like the noise.
Jim [and yeah, the Rangers suck-- but I like them anyway.]
On 12/20/2011 7:01 AM, Existential Angst wrote:

Maybe you should consider this before operating ANY internal combustion engine indoors: http://bangordailynews.com/2011/08/31/news/portland/couple-identified-in-suspected-carbon-monoxide-deaths-in-raymond /
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:59:06 -0500, Tom Lachance

Follow the Follow-Up links at the bottom of that story - It was an old ("1980's") amateur install of a permanent propane fueled generator set in the basement, and it had an exhaust pipe to the outside - and the flexible duct pipe they used had rusted through and had a large leak. Simple maintenance would have found that, if they bothered to look.
And with the generator not being in a separate sealed-off room with lots of outside ventilation (probably because they were thinking "we want the heat from the running engine") the CO went into the house too.
Not silly rules when you don't follow them and people die.
--<< Bruce >>--
I have read that Stirling Engines are very efficient, very quiet and that they can use any fuel or heat source. The downsides to them are that they are big and heavy and they do not like to vary their operating speed. These downsides would be a problem in vehicles but not in an electricity generator for a home.
I think a Stirling Engine would be very good for an emergency generator for a home. I wonder if anyone has ever marketed one. I suspect that a Stirling Engine would last a very long time with minimal maintenance.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her