GE Washing Machine Drum Removal Question

Hi. I have an old GE Heavy Duty washing machine that has started to "walk". Having checked most of the obvious things, I wish to remove the drum to see if I can find the cause of this. There seems to be no obvious, or easy way, to remove the drum. I have removed the agitator. My Readers Digest repair books can't help with this. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Eugene

Steel or plastic "drum"?

Reply to
Mad Mac

Hi,

No model# posted, one of these may help....

Unplug washer. Remove agitator from washer by pulling straight up on it, some agitators have a bolt under the cap, remove cap and look for a bolt first. Remove the agitator bearing from transmission hub. Get top up by pressing on 2 clips located about 6 in in from side between top and cabinet. Putty knife or flat blade screwdriver works well here. Take the filter flow tube off. Lift top. Remove three bolts holding basket to hub. Lift basket out of washer.

Two different styles fo GE washers above.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Just to add my usual cautionary note re this, use ONLY A ***12 POINT***

1/2" SOCKET ON THESE BOLTS. Nothing else will work.
Reply to
Mad Mac

When a washing machine vibrates, or moves under its oown power, the first thing I think "is it level". Washing machines are incredibly sensetive to being level. Don't just eye ball it, get a bubble level, and be sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for reading. It is a steel drum.

Reply to
Eugene

OK, follow the directions Jeff gave, and use a 12 POINT 1/2" socket to remove the bolts.

Reply to
Mad Mac

True enough, forgot about those...thankx for the reminder! :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff