GE Washing Machine Drum Removal Question

Hi. I have an old GE Heavy Duty washing machine that has started to "walk". Having checked most of the obvious things, I wish to remove the drum to see if I can find the cause of this. There seems to be no obvious, or easy way, to remove the drum. I have removed the agitator. My Readers Digest repair books can't help with this. Thanks for any help.
Eugene wrote:

Steel or plastic "drum"?

Thanks for reading. It is a steel drum.
Eugene wrote:

OK, follow the directions Jeff gave, and use a 12 POINT 1/2" socket to remove the bolts.

True enough, forgot about those...thankx for the reminder! :)
snipped-for-privacy@imailbox.com (Eugene) wrote in message

Hi,
No model# posted, one of these may help....
Unplug washer. Remove agitator from washer by pulling straight up on it, some agitators have a bolt under the cap, remove cap and look for a bolt first. Remove the agitator bearing from transmission hub. Get top up by pressing on 2 clips located about 6 in in from side between top and cabinet. Putty knife or flat blade screwdriver works well here. Take the filter flow tube off. Lift top. Remove three bolts holding basket to hub. Lift basket out of washer.
http://www.applianceaid.com/genew2.html
Two different styles fo GE washers above.
jeff wrote:

Just to add my usual cautionary note re this, use ONLY A ***12 POINT*** 1/2" SOCKET ON THESE BOLTS. Nothing else will work.
When a washing machine vibrates, or moves under its oown power, the first thing I think "is it level". Washing machines are incredibly sensetive to being level. Don't just eye ball it, get a bubble level, and be sure.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus